[Peace-discuss] A Greek Political Party

Paul M. King pmking at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 6 08:21:45 CDT 2005

I've been in Europe for a few weeks and am now in Greece for
a few more. Yesterday I came across a compelling political
tabling display that I thought folks from AWARE might be
interested in. There is a political party here in Greece
called Syn (which means solidarity) that have similar values
to us and the Greens, it seems.

They were in the park yesterday on account of World
Environment Day, a U.N. declared holiday. (It seems that the
rest of the world knows nothing about Earth Day. And I knew
nothing about World Environment Day. Go figure.) Anyway, I
was struck by several things.

First, I was immediately captivated by the wonderful graphic
and stylistic designs of their posters, banners and flyers.
Very modern, colorful, playful and pretty. It was sort of
like a very slick, but tasteful, advertising campaign.

Second, I was able to connect with them right away because
they were giving away attractive little 4x5 flyers that we
were supposed to put on parked cars. The reason I (and
almost everyone who walked by) liked the flyer so much is
because it was explaining to the driver of the parked car
that I, as a pedestrian, cannot walk on the sidewalk because
they are in the way. It's a campaign to take back the
sidewalks. So, they were able to draw me in by connecting to
a /daily frustration/ that almost all people have and giving
them an /immediate and easy/ way to help alleviate the
problem. I've been putting these flyers all over the cars
here. They are crazy the way they drive all over the public
squares and sidewalks here!

And third, they were a youth organization, sort of like the
Young Republicans. They even had a nice little flag waving
in the middle of their display. So, organziation and early
indoctrination.

Anyway, I was inspired and thought others might be
interested.

By the way, I have a blog with random comments about my
perceptions of life in Europe. It's not all good and most of
it is not political, but I think I may have managed to write
a couple things that someone somewhere may find interesting.
If anyone is would like to look at it, just point your
browser to:

<benefaction.blogspot.com>

..:: Paul King