[Peace-discuss] the politics of greed

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 11:00:04 CDT 2005

Definitely, definitely.  I do think we should keep in
mind how it *got* that way, too -- decades of street
fighting and strikes and general agitation and
painstaking organizing.

Even in the sixties, poverty was still deep in some
pockets (no pun intended), as Michael Harrington
famously documented.  The welfare rights movement and
other efforts did have a good effect, but obviously
never got to complete the job before the backlash.

The point is that grinding inequality has actually
been the rule, the relative gains of the fifties and
sixties being the exception.  A goal of the Reagan
Revolution was to put the rabble back in our place, a
process that Bush I, Clinton and now Bush II have
continued (as you all know).  And without serious
resistance they will succeed.

Just a talking point, I guess.  Glad to see the
column.

Ricky