[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Message from Senator Barack Obama

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Sun Jun 19 11:08:02 CDT 2005

Mort,

I'd say Obama's second paragraph is crystal clear --  Yeah, it costs money to continue to fight over there, money that is taken away from social programs, increases our debt, is financially disasterous.  But no, we can't leave now because it would leave Iraq in chaos.  However, the Bush admin should tell us what's really going on over there, and what their plans are for stabilizing the country and bringing the troops home..... (As if...)

What planet is he living on?  Maybe he just needs to watch some of the Ch 6 UPTV documentaries?  Nah....what I really think is that he IS a bright man, and he knows exactly what the Admin's Grand Plans are and what is being sacrificed for them. (Endless war for world domination, countless dead or worse/US troops and most especially the innocent men, women and children who happen to live in places we want to dominate)  But it's not politically expedient to ask those questions or make those accusations.  We expected more from him, based on his pre-election speeches. He needs to look around to see where he's left his you-know-what. Unfortunately he has a lot of company.... Depressing.

Jenifer C.

It is hard to know where Obama is coming from. The incoherence  of   his second paragraph is remarkable for one considered a brilliant   newcomer to the Senate.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: senator_obama at obama.senate.gov
> Date: June 7, 2005 10:33:45 AM CDT
> To: mkb3 at mac.com
> Subject: Message from Senator Barack Obama
>

> Dear Morton K.:
>
> Thank you so much for contacting me with your concerns about our
> policy in Iraq. I apologize for the delay in my response. I am
> afraid that it has taken me longer than I had anticipated to get
> caught up on the nearly three month backlog of correspondence the
> Senate post office delivered to me in late January.
>
> I appreciate your perspective that we should withdraw our troops
> immediately, and I certainly share your disappointment at the
> Administration’s handling of this war. But, having made this
> engagement, we are in the position where leaving Iraq risks chaos
> and staying has immeasurable financial and social costs, and
> further work needs to be done in Iraq before we can leave without
> putting ourselves and our allies at greater risk. An immediate
> priority for Congress should be to ensure that the American people
> are getting truthful and accurate information about when and how we

> will bring our troops home, and that our soldiers, guardsmen and
> reservists receive all the benefits they are entitled to on their
> return.
>
> As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and the
> Veterans Affairs Committee, I will have the opportunity to further
> address these concerns with my colleagues. You may be assured I
> will be raising many of the questions you brought to my attention
> as the 109th Congress proceeds.
>
> Thank you again for writing. Please feel free to keep in touch with

> me on this and any other issue of concern to you.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Barack Obama
> United States Senator
>

> P.S. Our system does not allow direct response to this email.
> However, if you would like to contact me again, please use the form

> on the website: http://obama.senate.gov/contact/

--Apple-Mail-1--996741810--

***
Peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net