[Peace-discuss] London Mayor Criticizes Israel, Haaretz Responds

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 10:18:57 CST 2005

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:48:15 -0600
   From: Martha Reese <martha at martinreese.com>
Subject: Guardian: Ken Livingstone op-ed on Israel,
Palestinians (March
4, 05)

This is about Israel, not anti-semitism

Not to speak out against this injustice would not only
be wrong. It
would
ignore the threat it poses to us all

Ken Livingstone--Mayor of London
Guardian
Friday March 4, 2005

Racism is a uniquely reactionary ideology, used to
justify the greatest
crimes in history - the slave trade, the extermination
of all original
inhabitants of the Caribbean, the elimination of every
native
inhabitant of
Tasmania, apartheid. The Holocaust was the ultimate,
"industrialised"
expression of racist barbarity.

Racism serves as the cutting edge of the most
reactionary movements. An
ideology that starts by declaring one human being
inferior to another
is the
slope whose end is at Auschwitz. That is why I detest
racism.

No serious commentator has argued that my comments to
an Evening
Standard
reporter outside City Hall last month were
anti-semitic. So I am glad
that
Henry Grunwald, president of the Board of Deputies of
British Jews,
accepted
on these pages that "Ken is sincere when he states
that he regards the
Holocaust as the worst crime of the last century".

The contribution of Jewish people to human
civilisation and culture is
unexcelled and extraordinary. You only have to think
of giants such as
Einstein, Freud and Marx to realise that human
civilisation would be
unrecognisably diminished without the achievements of
the Jewish
people. The
same goes for the Jewish contribution to London today.

As mayor, I have pressed for police action over
anti-semitic attacks at
the
highest level, and my administration has backed a
series of initiatives
of
importance to the Jewish community, including hosting
the Anne Frank
exhibition at City Hall and measures to ensure the
go-ahead for the
north
London eruv.

Throughout the 1970s, I worked happily with the Board
of Deputies in
campaigns against the National Front. Problems began
when, as leader of
the
Greater London Council, I rejected the board's request
that I should
fund
only Jewish organisations that it approved of. The
Board of Deputies
was
unhappy that I funded Jewish organisations campaigning
for gay rights
and
others that disagreed with policies of the Israeli
government.

Relations with the board took a dramatic turn for the
worse when I
opposed
Israel's illegal invasion of Lebanon, culminating in
the massacres at
the
Palestinian camps of Sabra and Shatila. The board also
opposed my
involvement in the successful campaign in 1982 to
convince the Labour
party
to recognise the PLO as the legitimate voice of the
Palestinian people.

The fundamental issue on which we differ, as Henry
Grunwald knows, is
not
anti-semitism - which my administration has fought
tooth and nail - but
the
policies of successive Israeli governments.

To avoid manufactured misunderstandings, the policies
of Israeli
governments
are not analogous to Nazism. They do not aim at the
systematic
extermination
of the Palestinian people, in the way Nazism sought
the annihilation of
the
Jews.

Israel's expansion has included ethnic cleansing.
Palestinians who had
lived
in that land for centuries were driven out by
systematic violence and
terror
aimed at ethnically cleansing what became a large part
of the Israeli
state.
The methods of groups like the Irgun and the Stern
gang were the same
as
those of the Bosnian Serb leader Karadzic: to drive
out people by
terror.

Today the Israeli government continues seizures of
Palestinian land for
settlements, military incursions into surrounding
countries and denial
of
the right of Palestinians expelled by terror to
return. Ariel Sharon,
Israel's prime minister, is a war criminal who should
be in prison, not
in
office. Israel's own Kahan commission found that
Sharon shared
responsibility for the Sabra and Shatila massacres.

Sharon continues to organise terror. More than three
times as many
Palestinians as Israelis have been killed in the
present conflict.
There are
more than 7,000 Palestinians in Israel's jails.

To obscure these truths, those around Israel's present
government have
resorted to demonisation. Initial targets were
Palestinians, and have
now
become Muslims. Take the Middle East Media Research
Institute, run by a
former colonel in Israeli military intelligence, which
poses as a
source of
objective information but in reality selectively
translates material
from
Arabic and presents Muslims and Arabs in the worst
possible light.

Today the Israeli government is helping to promote a
wholly distorted
picture of racism and religious discrimination in
Europe, implying that
the
most serious upsurge of hatred and discrimination is
against Jews.

All racist and anti-semitic attacks must be stamped
out. However, the
reality is that the great bulk of racist attacks in
Europe today are on
black people, Asians and Muslims - and they are the
primary targets of
the
extreme right. For 20 years Israeli governments have
attempted to
portray
anyone who forcefully criticises the policies of
Israel as
anti-semitic. The
truth is the opposite: the same universal human values
that recognise
the
Holocaust as the greatest racist crime of the 20th
century require
condemnation of the policies of successive Israeli
governments - not on
the
absurd grounds that they are Nazi or equivalent to the
Holocaust, but
because ethnic cleansing, discrimination and terror
are immoral.

They are also fuelling anger and violence across the
world. For a mayor
of
London not to speak out against such injustice would
not only be wrong
- but
would also ignore the threat it poses to the security
of all Londoners.

· Ken Livingstone is the London mayor
Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2005

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 3