[Peace-discuss] Intimidation at Columbia University

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 6 13:56:39 CST 2005

[Another take on the Orwell quote, for a perhaps unlikely source, an
ex-president of universities, in the NYTimes letters. --CGE]

More than half a century ago, George Orwell warned, in his essay
"Politics and the English Language," against the immorality implicit
in the use, especially by government officials, of intentionally
misleading words. I think of Orwell's essay every time that President
Bush speaks of the need for "reform" of Social Security and tort law.

Orwell's contemporary George Bernard Shaw got it right when he
reputedly retorted to an adversary whom he was debating: "Do not
speak to me, sir, of reform. Things are bad enough as they are!"

JAMES O. FREEDMAN
Cambridge, Mass., Feb. 24, 2005

The writer is president emeritus of Dartmouth College and the
University of Iowa.</blockquote>

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, David Green wrote:

> ZNet | Israel/Palestine
>
> Racists Feel “Intimidated”