[Peace-discuss] Liberals and Schiavo

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 31 13:06:45 CST 2005

Actually, it seems that Judge Greer may indeed have had "an ax to grind"
(the metaphor is apt), as a member of a pro-euthanasia group.  More
importantly, it's his initial decision that was simply repeated by all the
other courts. They found that his procedure was correct -- they didn't
re-investigate his findings. There was no de novo consideration of the
matter, no MRI, no PET scan, and two of the five neurologists who
testified in Greer's initial hearing did not agree with the diagnosis of
PVS.

Defenders of Schiavo's court-ordered killing have to contend that she was
brain-dead or admit that that's what they supported.  Those of us who
don't think the state should kill people only have to point out that there
was at least as much doubt here as would stop a death penalty case. This
was neither a right-to-die nor a treatment-of-the-dying case; it was a
case about when you can end the life of a disabled person.  --CGE