[Peace-discuss] Anabaptist speaker

Dan Schreiber dan at sourcegear.com
Sun Nov 6 19:11:08 CST 2005

As AWARE processes how to engage with churches, I'd like to offer an event
that might be of interest.  First Mennonite is sponsoring a talk geared
towards pacifist Christians, but it might also be helpful for others who
want to engage in conversation with non-pacifist Christians.  See below for
details, and feel free to forward or post the flier.

Thanks,
Dan

----------------------------

Since 9/11, the U.S. has fought wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and increased
its military budget by more than 50 percent.  But is this making us safer?

Anabaptist and some other Christians say no to war.  But what do we say yes
to?  How do pacifist Christians propose to address the issue of terrorism
and other threats to national and global security?  What practices and
policies do we believe will lead to a more secure world?

Daryl Byler of Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) in Washington DC will be at
First Mennonite on Saturday Nov 19th at 7:00pm, and will be speaking to and
discussing these issues.

He is the director of MCC and has traveled frequently to Iraq, Iran, Syria,
Lebanon and Israel-Palestine, and writes about US policy that affects the
Middle East.

All are welcome.  Please spread the word to any local organizations you are
part of.  The attached flier may be posted anywhere.