[Peace-discuss] Reply from Michael Shapiro

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 11:25:00 CST 2005

       I'm inclined to agree with Carl's assessment of
the situation. My letters to the DI regarding the
Halevi visit were not published. Today I submitted the
following:

	The Daily Illini (11/10) reports on the observance of
Kristallnacht, quoting a student who “cited Sudan and
Rwanda as modern examples of how today's world is not
free of oppression.” He continued: "There are many
events that remind us of the Holocaust. We live in a
world where this stuff can happen, and we have to be
aware of it."

	Unfortunately, these examples are selected in order
to avoid parallels that implicate the United States
and Israel, such as East Timor and Guatemala, where
arms and advisement were provided for ongoing
government-sponsored genocides. Also studiously
avoided is the ethnic cleansing of 700,000
Palestinians by Israel in 1948, or its 1982 invasion
of Lebanon which killed 20,000 Palestinian refugees,
ending with Ariel Sharon’s complicity in massacres at
Sabra and Shatila. A guiding moral principle is that
we hold ourselves to the same standards that we hold
others.

	The DI’s naive coverage is consistent with that of
recent events promoted by our campus’s neoconservative
“Program for Jewish Culture and Society.” Yossi Klein
Halevi (11/3), an Israeli journalist, appeared in the
guise of “reconciliation” in order to advocate
collective punishment of Palestinians, while claiming
that journalists who promote social justice are
blinded to the truth.

	Judea Pearl (11/9), promoting “tolerance”, declared
that “no topic is taboo” while ignoring Israel’s
occupation of Palestine, the American occupation of
Iraq, and the CIA’s 1980s support for the Islamic
radicals who eventually murdered his son. Pearl labels
opposition to Zionism as racist, indeed: “I submit
that anti-Zionism is a form of racism more dangerous
than classical anti-Semitism. Framing anti-Zionism as
racism is precisely the weapon that our (Jewish)
students need for survival on campus.” So much for
dialogue, and for the pretense that local Jewish
bureaucrats value the truth more than their
neoconservative political agenda.