[Peace-discuss] Wal-mart, the university and the military, for examples...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 21 22:57:22 CST 2005

[This is rather neatly put, I think, and seems similar to what
J.-P. Sartre called "bourgeois bad faith."  In "The Republic
of Silence" (1944) he wrote, "We were never more free than
under the German occupation."  --CGE]

AMORALITY: A quality admired and rewarded in modern
organizations, where it is referred to through metaphors such
as professionalism and efficiency . . . Immorality is doing
wrong of our own volition.  Amorality is doing it because a
structure or an organization expects us to do it. Amorality is
thus worse than immorality because it involves denying our
responsibility and therefore our existence as anything more
than an animal. --John Ralston Saul, "The Doubter's Companion."

  ###