[Peace-discuss] Syrian/US firefight

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 24 10:14:09 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu>
To: "Peace Discuss" <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 11:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Syrian/US firefight

> What would be the motive for American (or Syrian) officials
> saying that such clashes had taken place, if they hadn't? --CGE

  The same as for actually causing them - manufacture of consent, of course.
I'd say the case will eventually be made that with Syria next door always
ready to create problems for Iraq, we will need to be there as long as is
convenient.  A new retort for every withdrawal overture - "But what about
Syria?"

  I expect they are real, created by us, and only the beginning.  I've been
expecting it for months.  The goal of this administration is apparently to
extend American demonstrations of power (with their attendant windfall profits
and republican lock on political power) indefinitely, and creating an enemy
bloc over there out of nothing has been a central tenet of their propaganda
effort ever since "axis of evil" and now through "allies of convenience".
It's how they forced Iran to elect a hardass they can hassle with and I expect
similar radicalization regionwide over time.

  They simply must have a new front heating up for the 2006 and 2008
elections, and mere saber-rattling doesn't draw folks out properly when you
have an overwhelming force.