[Peace-discuss] Politics of disaster

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 1 15:55:58 CDT 2005

The musings of Mitchel Cohen, a pre-Cobb leader of Green Party...

They are sending 5,000 additional national guard troops over
the next 3 days into New Orleans but still refuse to provide
fresh drinking water and food. In reality, what they will be
doing is forcibly remove any residents who don't want to leave
their living quarters, families, pets (such as those thousands
in drier areas like our friend Les Evenchick in the French
Quarter). The media spin will be in full play on how the
military will be "rescuing" these people. The most important
thing they need right now is drinking water and food, not removal.

Is this the new version of urban renewal? We need to
investigate which companies will be "rebuilding" and what are
the plans. Were these plans to "develop" the poor areas of New
Orleans in existence BEFORE the hurricane, just as PNAC's
plans were in place before 9-11 hit New York City and before
the US invaded Iraq?

I am looking at the 2004 presidential election results from
Louisiana, which Bush won overwhelmingly 57%-42%. Bush won
every county EXCEPT Orleans, which voted a landslide for Kerry:

	Bush 1,102,169   57%
	Kerry  820,299   42%
	Nader    7,032	1%

I then checked the County of Orleans in which Kerry received
152,610 (78%) to Bush's 42,847  (22%).

Cleans out the only major anti-Bush area in the State pretty
effectively, wouldn't you say?

I wonder if this is part of a national strategy, to allow (and
help along either directly or through negligence) horrible
things to happen to the main anti-Bush areas?