[Peace-discuss] Politics of disaster

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 1 18:12:09 CDT 2005

I am currently finishing my summer holiday in Chicago, visiting family and
friends: among them, my girlfriend who had just moved to New Orleans to
begin her studies at loyola university - NO.
She had lived there for all of 3 nights, before being awakened by an
emergency plea from university adminstrators to "get out of town." Anyone
who could not procure a flight or drive out with family members were bussed
by the university to Baton Rouge on Saturday.

Thanks to her white middle class privilege, she was able to fly the friendly
skies that afternoon non- stop from New Orleans to Chicago O'Hare
International AIrport, and is now safe and sound here in the midwest.

Due to this connection to the storm, we have felt compelled to watch the
shotty corporate press coverage of the events, just to be updated on how
things are developing.
ABsolutely sickening how these bastards have used the occasion of a natural
disaster to wage their usual race and class war to their own glorious
benefit!!
CNN, Fox News et al have portrayed those left behind as the "stupid" who
"didn't heed government warnings about the storm." While those attempting to
procure any necessities possible from destroyed and burnt out stores are
termed "looters," unless, of course, they happen to be white, in which case
they are "desperate."

Politically, the storm has made overwhelmingly evident the classist and
racist nature of the American press, American policymakers, and the society
writ large.

Thus far, Chris Floyd offers the best take on these developments in my mind:
http://www.counterpunch.org/floyd09012005.html

Though, Dr. Cockburn packs a punch as well:
http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn08312005.html

cheers,
matt r