[Peace-discuss] Guest commentary

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 4 12:24:43 CDT 2005

I want to respond to Carl Estabrook’s guest commentary on page  B-3 of
today’s News-Gazette. While I agree with much of the commentary, I
think the ending is a gratuitous attack on me, AWARE and the anti-war
movement.

Let me say upfront, that I have never been interested in personalizing
our discussions of strategy and tactics. Intertwining the issues with
personal attacks is a recipe for failure.  We must be able to
critically evaluate our activities, and those who see and respond to
criticism as personal attacks should re-evaluate the effects of their
actions.

One must ask why a discussion about our strategy and tactics must be
aired in public in the local newspaper?  Let me repeat a little of my
original thoughts here. We have an African-American Senator who is very
popular in the black community. If we want to do local anti-racist
work, we can’t afford to alienate many in this community with a
sledgehammer approach.  We ought to try to engage this politician and
appeal to his own self-interest.  We should argue that according to the
polls, his constituents and especially the black community are ahead of
him and want an end to this war.

It was very clear at the AWARE meeting that nobody wants to give
Senator Obama a pass on his war position.  Coming to the personal
level, the great majority of those who know me even a little would
laugh at the author’s assertion, “Liberals who fail to say so [Obama
“has blood on his hands”] because of the senator’s race find themselves
supporting the war.”   My opposition to the war and US imperialism is
not in question, and I don’t consider myself a “liberal.”

Finally, to call the above argument, “…patronizing or hypocritical, if
not racist” is beyond the bounds of principled debate.

It seems to me that we have a set up for another shouting match at
today’s meeting, therefore I will not be there.  AWARE needs to work
through it’s internal process for having principled discussions.  When
our norms and guidelines are ignored, we must be able to confront the
situation and put it right.  If we can’t do this, we will not be able
to advance our work.

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328
University of Illinois Library