[Peace-discuss] Guest commentary

Dan Schreiber dan at sourcegear.com
Sun Sep 4 15:45:40 CDT 2005

I've considered myself a friend of AWARE for about a year and a half, and
have advocated in my church for many of the programs that AWARE has been
instrumental in bringing to CU.  I appreciate the energy you all put into
projects that attempt to make the world a better place.  As somewhat of an
outsider, I thought my impressions might be valuable to you.

I was very disappointed in the AWARE reference in Carl's article today.
Whether intentional or not, and whether true or not, it implicated AWARE as
a place containing people who hold patronizing, hypocritical and racist
views, based on a single sentence within a long letter advocating more
caution and respect towards Obama.  For those who don't know much about
AWARE, or those who share many of the same values as AWARE, this is the
exact opposite impression that should be given.  Why would anyone want to
join or be associated with such an organization?  Why would anyone want to
attend events sponsored by such an organization?  Why would I want to
advocate for your programs in my own circles if this is the impression your
own members are making to the public?

Something like this goes beyond disagreements about Obama, and I'm not
involved enough to know what they are.  But, I would beg you all to spend
less time figuring out what your positions are on Obama, and more time
figuring out how to limit the damage to AWARE that the disagreements are
causing, or at least figure out a way to go your separate ways without
publicly undermining the very values of peacemaking that you have so
energetically advocated for the last few years.

Peace,
Dan Schreiber