[Peace-discuss] Last night's meeting

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 12 11:27:51 CDT 2005

I want to say that I was very disappointed and frustrated at last
night’s meeting.  AWARE has now gone two weeks since one of our
influential members not only disrupted our meeting, but was
extraordinarily rude and disrespectful to the facilitator, and
continually interrupted several members of the group who voiced
critical opinions. He then went on to publish divisive comments in the
N-G which misrepresented and distorted my views and brought disrepute
on the group.  Since these kinds of interactions are nothing new, and
have occurred every few months (with somewhat less intensity), I am
mystified by this lack of action.

It appears that some members of AWARE are not taking this seriously
enough.  Some are calling for “conflict resolution” rather than
addressing the need for respectful interactions and personal
accountability.  Some are ready to put this in the past, or put it off
as long as possible.  Some are afraid of “dividing” the group.

In case anyone is not aware, the group is already divided.  A
principled discussion is not going to further divide us.

Al Kagan
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801