[Peace-discuss] The last two weeks

Susan Davis sgdavis at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 14 11:56:07 CDT 2005

Folks,

I haven't been to an AWARE meeting in a few weeks because I've been
downhearted about what's happening in the group.  I'm very concerned about
the way we are acting as a group and also concerned about the way we are
representing ourselves publicly.  I've learned a huge amount by working
with AWARE, so before I throw in the towel I would like to give my thoughts.

--. the only way we get anything done at all, whether it is clarifying
positions or organizing an event is when people can be polite and
respectful to each other, even kind, when there are disagreements of
principal, tactics or strategy.  This kind mutual respect and hard
listening has broken down badly and the breakdown is extremely
damaging.  It's not been a question of everyone talking at once, but a
question of really hostile and nasty behavior, both in meetings and in
Carl's article in the News Gazette.  it's not scapegoating Carl to point
out that he was extremely mean and disrespectful to Carol when she
facilitated the meeting two weeks ago.  I don't need to come to an AWARE
meeting for this kind of hostile interaction -- I can go to a faculty
meeting any day of the week and see people behaving badly.  If folks in the
group don't understand why that would be a problem for the ongoing work of
the group, then it is not an effective group that I can participate in.

--I think it's elementary kindness and politeness not to quote people in
publications without their permission.  So it struck me as very destructive
to see Al quoted in the News Gazette in a way that makes aware look
clueless and arrogant. not good for aware, because it aired a legitimate
disagreement in a way that didn't represent the disagreement accurately,
but also destructive because it was a personal slam. (to make matters
worse, the legitimate disagreement on tactics never got adequately
discussed because of shouting in the previous meeting.) But even if Al had
been saying (or e-mailing) something that made us look like geniuses, it's
only a courtesy to say "I'm writing an article, may I quote you?" again, if
people in the group don't understand why this is a problem for the group's
continuity, then this is not a group I can put my energy into

-- we really do need to be very thoughtful about how we present ourselves
publicly.  That's not the same as self-censorship, but a protective
mechanism for the continuity of the group and its ability to work
locally.  Apparently this has been an impossible topic to reach consensus
on, but especially if we're trying to make alliances locally across
communities and across political differences we need to be thoughtful about
it.  If we're not trying to make any such alliances or be a local
grassroots group, but rather an agitation group with no enduring local
ties, that should be decided in a spirit of mutuality.  Personally I think
being a grassroots group that takes alliances seriously while examining
them critically is a lot more interesting than being an agitation group. I
also think it's a lot harder.

It is striking and a shame that this is happening now, of all times.  It
seems to me we are in a very dangerous political moment when anti-war
groups are very necessary and that the same time very threatening to the
powers that be.  I think our work has been necessary in Champaign Urbana
and as part of a national movement.

I'm not sure what conflict resolution would do for us.  We have a
legitimate conflicts within the group about strategy, tactics and
politics.  There's no need to resolve those conflicts -- as Ricky has
written, they're good for us.  It sounds like we need to have serious
discussions about whether to be an alliance-oriented group or an agitation
group, but again, I'm not sure we need help with that discussion.  the
interpersonal problems seem to be foremost -- they're hanging us up from
getting to these other issues.  But it's not fair to tell people who've
been trashed in public to just get over it.

Susan Davis