[Peace-discuss] The last two weeks

Gabriel Stanton ggstanto at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 15:24:54 CDT 2005

Hello everyone,

   I just want to stand in support of Susan's
statement. I know I haven't been to AWARE meetings
much in the past year and thus I don't have the whole
picture. t I'd like to think that I was still part of
the group and proud of the things that we've
accomplished together.  It doesn't matter which of us
has organized more events or which of us is more up to
date on news and  or the opinions of free thinking
intellectuals. It matters what  we are doing to sway
the public's opinions of  what  is  truly going on in
the government and what we as citizens can do to
ameliorate the collective suffering of people that are
feeling the consequences. Right now as I see it we are
faced with a situation where people are concerned more
about their own ideas then about the effects of their
behavior on the perceptions and reputations of others.
If we in the group profess to care about peace then it
is my suggestion that  certain members of the group
approach others with a humble heart and assure them
that they won't continue to talk over them or use
their thoughts out of context. I seem to remember that
Jesus, Buddha, Lao Tse and other influential figures
stressed that greatness can only be acheived through
humility.
       On the other hand, I also believe that we
should be free to disagree. But given that statement
we should have qualifiers such as the giving the
authors names and saying that they are members of
AWARE but don't represent the diversity of opinions if
there isn't consensus like the WEFT disclaimer.
However I suggest that there must be at least 4 people
at the meeting who support the statement before it can
be made even as a working group of AWARE. But above
all we should respect each other for whatever opinions
we have because we all bring something to the table.

      In the meantime I  personally think that we
should have a positive presence in  the public helping
people like  contributing food to flood victims or
reminding people to call Tim Johnson and protest the
proposed cuts to programs meant to help the poor.
Right now being AWARE isn't enough to keep us afloat.

Very respectfully,

Gabriel Stanton