[Peace-discuss] The anti-war movement and UFPJ

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Tue Sep 20 11:29:42 CDT 2005

Worth reading, well considered, especially if going to the 9/24
protest in D.C.
--mkb

Interviewing Cagan

by Leslie Cagan and Ethan Young; Portside; September 17, 2005
[Leslie Cagan is national coordinator of United for Peace and
Justice, a coalition of more than 1,300 local and national groups
that have "joined together to oppose our government's policy of
permanent warfare and empire- building." (http://
www.unitedforpeace.org/) Leslie was interviewed for portside on
September 9, 2005, by Ethan Young. -- ps moderator]

PORTSIDE: Since the federal funding shift from disaster response to
the war was largely responsible for the failure to save the hurricane
victims, how would you see the anti-war movement addressing the Gulf
Coast crisis, and do you think it will affect which communities will
turn out September 24th?

LESLIE CAGAN: The whole situation in the Gulf Coast raises a complex
set of questions. United for Peace and Justice believes that the
incredible resources--over two hundred billion dollars already--that
have been poured into the war in Iraq meant that money wasn't going
into very necessary things, like making New Orleans more secure. And
yet it is too simplistic to just say that the war and the money
that's gone into the war was the reason that there was a failure to
provide the victims of the hurricane with the relief that they've
needed. While the drain of resources into the war is an important
issue, it is also true that centuries of racism in this country, the
fact that there were so many poor people in New Orleans that didn't
have a way out, the lack of attention to real disaster management
planning ... all of these were issues that fed what happened on the
Gulf Coast.

United for Peace and Justice is trying to articulate the connections
between the war and the crisis in the aftermath of Katrina, without
reducing it all to a simplistic statement like, "If the war wasn't
happening then everything would have been fine in New Orleans." We
don't think that is true.

One of the things that we've been talking about--some of the language
we've been using--is that this country is now at one of those
defining moments. It's not an everyday occurrence, where the country--
the nation--is at a crossroads. We have an opportunity here to really
think through what the priorities of this country are. Are the
priorities going to be what they've been for decades now: an empire-
building agenda that pours our resources--not just money, but people
power, scientific and creative energies and people -- into military
operations such as the war in Iraq? Or are our priorities going to be
really meeting the needs of our own people, and other people around
the world? And the combination--the juxtaposition--of the war in Iraq
and the Gulf Coast crisis happening at exactly the same time sheds
light on what kind of choices this nation faces.

As an anti-war movement we are saying that the choice should be
clear: not only do we have to end the war in Iraq, but we have to
change foreign policies that continue to lead us into these kinds of
wars and military interventions and occupations.

I think it's not totally clear yet how this will affect the turnout
for the Sept. 24th march on Washington. I believe a lot more people
are going to come out because of the Gulf Coast crisis, partially
because they do understand how essential this priorities question is
and how our resources get used. There was a lot of momentum building
for the 24th demonstration even before Hurricane Katrina hit and
there were already signs that this was going to be a big
demonstration, which I think is now going to be larger. We're hoping
that constituencies, communities, that have not in the past come out
to anti-war demonstrations are going to come precisely because they
do see a connection. But I really can't guarantee any of that. That's
what we're working on -- reaching out to people that might have been
questioning the war before, and even been opposed to the war, but
haven't been actively engaged, and now encourging them to come out to
this anti-war mobilization.

Q. Well, vets and military families have brought new energy to the
movement, but they're culturally far apart from the students and
boomers who usually make it to big peace marches. Do you foresee
problems in bringing military families together with traditional
peaceniks?

LESLIE CAGAN: It's interesting that in the last three years, since
this anti-war movement came together, military families and veterans
have been part of it and their voices have been heard right from the
very beginning. In fact, I remember a few days before the February
15th (2003) demonstration, the massive global day of protest, two
people came into our office and said, "We're Nancy Lessin and Charlie
Richardson and we just started, with another family, Military
Families Speak Out." And now, two and half years later, there are
more than 2500 families in Military Families Speak Out, many more
people but over 2500 families. I know with the national media
attention that Cindy Sheehan got at Camp Casey in Texas many more
people have been joining Military Families. The main point, though,
is that veterans and military families have been a part of this
movement from the beginning, and, in fact, a movement is a movement
because there are people from different cultural traditions, from
different age groups, from different constituencies, from different
lifestyles if you will. In fact, that's when you have a movement:
it's not just one grouping or one category of people. And sometimes
that's uneasy, sometimes that's difficult, as relationships are
difficult. But mostly I think that people understand that whatever
ways people are different, our common commitment to ending the war in
Iraq and challenging US foreign policy more broadly, ties us together
much more strongly than what keeps us apart. Yes, sometimes there are
differences in language that people want to use, or images that
people want to use--graphics for leaflets and things like that--but I
think those issues are pretty minor compared to what holds this
movement together.

PORTSIDE: Some anti-war groups and individuals think that UFPJ holds
back on the demand for immediate withdrawal or on expressing support
for the insurgency. Some have called for the inclusion of Palestine
as part of the focus alongside Iraq, and we can see that that's not
happening. Is UFPJ trading principle for mainstream acceptability?

LESLIE CAGAN: Let me deconstruct this question. There's a lot going
on in this question, so let me try to deconstruct it a little.

First of all, if there's anybody or any grouping of people that
thinks UFPJ has backed off of what has been our essential demand --
which has been: end the war in Iraq, bring the troops home now --
then I don't know what planet they've been on. There is not a piece
of literature, there is not a press release, there is not a
communication that we put out that doesn't say that. If anybody
thinks we've backed off, I'd like to see what leads them to this
conclusion. I'd like to see where they're getting that from. The
answer to this question is: No. We have not changed our demand. The
demand before the war started was: Don't go to war. But the minute
the war started, our demand was: End the war in Iraq and bring the
troops home now. We have consistently held that position and not
wavered from it, and have no plans to waver from it. That's our
position, and I hope I have cleared up any confusion.

On the question of expressing support for the insurgency, UFPJ as a
coalition does not have a position on the resistance or the
insurgency--people refer to what's happening in different ways. There
are members of our coalition--member groups--that support the
resistance. There are other groups that condemn the insurgency. But
as a coalition we don't have a position. I think there are two
general positions within the coalition that relate to this that are
important to mention. One is that there's a generally held agreement
that we support the rights of people to protect and defend their
nations. We believe that one of the pillars of US foreign policy
should be respect for the sovereignty of independent nations. And we
also support the right of people to defend themselves. When people
are being attacked militarily or otherwise, they have a right to
figure out how they are going to defend themselves. So that's a broad
principle. The other broad principle is that we reject and condemn
terrorism in any form, whether it comes from individuals,
paramilitary groups or governments. We condemn the terrorism that's
part of US military policies. By terrorism we mean acts of violence
against individuals, against civilians. That's not a tactic that we
support or condone.

But those are broad, general positions of the coalition. We don't at
United for Peace and Justice have a position supporting or
condemning, either way, the insurgency or the resistance in Iraq.

In terms of the call to include the demand to end the Israeli
occupation of Palestine and to support the rights of Palestinian
people as a central focus of September 24th, we have articulated our
position that we believe this demonstration, and the focus of our
work as United for Peace and Justice, needs to be on ending the war
in Iraq. Yes, we do see the connection between the occupation of Iraq
and the occupation of the Palestinian territories. We call for an end
to the Israeli occupation of Palestine, and more particular we call
for an end to the US government support for the Israeli government's
occupation. But having that as a principled position is different
than a tactical position about how you focus a demonstration. For a
variety of reasons, we came to the conclusion that it was time to
organize a national massive march on Washington that focuses on
Iraq.  Through the course of doing that work, and through the course
of the demonstration, the connections will be made. There will be a
contingent specifically around issues of supporting the rights of
Palestinian people; there will be speakers that address the issue;
there will be a booth at the Peace and Justice Festival that we are
organizing. So it's not, as some would claim, that we're ignoring the
issue. The challenge we see is how do we help people who are coming
out and becoming involved for the first time--many for the first
time--because they are moved by their opposition to the war in Iraq,
how do we work with these people to help them see connections, not
only to Palestine, but to a host of other issues. And within our
movement there's a lot of different tactical ... people have
different tactical approaches. So, it's not like we don't think the
issue is important or that we as a coalition don't have a role to
play in addressing this issue. It's a question of how we organize a
mass demonstration and how we use that as an opportunity to make
connections and, hopefully, through that work, help people see what
these connections are. So finally, then, is this coalition trading
principle for mainstream acceptability? No. We have not compromised
on, or backed away from, any of our positions. Our principles are
still very much intact, and, we believe that in fact at this point--
certainly on the war in Iraq--that that is the mainstream position,
that it is the Bush Administration that's out on the fringe on this
one. Over the last several months public opinion polls show
increasing numbers of people in this country against the war,
questioning the war, disagreeing with the war--whatever language
people are using--but there's more and more opposition to the war.

We believe this is the majority sentiment in the country, and that
you can win over massive numbers of people without compromising
principle. So, again, I think tactical decisions are different from
principle decisions.

PORTSIDE: The majority of elected Democrats seem to support the war.
Which is more important: targeting the war or targeting the
Administration conducting the war?

LESLIE CAGAN: I don't think it's an either-or question. First of all,
on the question of the elected Democrats, who seem to support the
war. Many of them not only seem to, they actually do. It's not just
an image problem; their positions are horrendous. In fact, we really
are quite critical of the leadership of the Democratic Party and most
elected officials on the federal level from whatever party they
happen to be in, because certainly those in Congress have partnered
with the Bush Administration on this war. If Congress hadn't been
feeding the money into this war it couldn't have happened. Part of
the reason that we decided to do this massive demonstration at the
end of September in Washington was so we could send a message
directly to Congress and when we say Congress we mean not only the
Republicans, but also the Democrats and hold them accountable and
demand that they take some responsibility for doing whatever they can
to stop this war and bring the troops home. So we think that it's not
actually a question of deciding which is more important--targeting
the war or the Administration--the war is bad, there are policy
makers that have put that war into place and keep that war machinery
going, and some of them are in the Bush Administration, some of them
are in Congress, some are in the State Department, some are in the
Pentagon--you know they're in lots of different places. We call on
all of them, we make a demand on all of them, to end this war and
bring the troops home now.

PORTSIDE: Some in the anti-war movement are calling for a planned,
multi-staged pullout as a more mainstream alternative to "Out Now."
There's also some nervousness about the left wing of the peace
movement against maximalist slogans--I think you know what I mean by
that: civil disobedience. What's your response?

LESLIE CAGAN: I think it's interesting that some members of Congress
are beginning to talk about staged withdrawals, setting time lines,
looking to 2006, etc. We think this is a positive development -- that
there's even that kind of discussion going on in Congress. You know,
six months ago, a year ago, there wasn't that level of discussion.
That's not our position. The position of United for Peace and Justice
is: End the war and bring the troops home now. We encourage all
groups and organizations and activists in the anti-war movement to
have the same position. And we think that some members of Congress,
and others who shape policy are beginning to talk about things like
phased withdrawal, stages of a pullout, etc., because there has been
the call from the anti-war movement saying "End the war now." We are
holding firm on that. Other people are going to raise other
approaches as to how the war can end. Our approach has not changed
though. Again, this is a war that never should have happened. It's a
war based on lies. And how do you get out of the mess that you've
created? You get out by getting out. It's not too complicated. And,
obviously, in 24 hours, every US troop wouldn't be out of Iraq and
every Hummer and all of the equipment and everything else wouldn't be
out of there, but you make that declaration. "We're leaving. It's
over." That's what we think should happen. Other people, including
some members of Congress, may take other positions. That's good in
that it helps open up more room for more debate, but we don't support
those positions. Our position is: End the war. Bring the troops home
now.

And...the other part of the question: nervousness about the left
wing. You know, what can we say? A movement is a movement because
there are people active in it from many constituencies and different
parts of the country, different age groups,etc. People have come from
different political traditions, and different ideologies and
different ways of thinking about the world. If we all shared one set
of politics, we'd all be in an organization not in a coalition. UFPJ
is a coalition, and we know we're only one part of a bigger movement.
So, yes, there's going to be a left wing in the movement, and there's
going to be more centerist forces. We hope there's even more people
from the Republican Party speaking out against the war. But I don't
think people need to be nervous about the left wing in the peace
movement. We should be happy that the movement is big enough so that
it can accommodate many different voices and points of view and build
on the ideas that we do share in common, that is, ending this war. In
terms of civil disobedience, well, I'm actually surprised by-- not
surprised but I think it's noticeable--how little objection there is
to civil disobedience. It's not that everybody wants to engage in cd
actions, but I've not heard anybody say, for instance during the
September actions in Washington on that Monday, the 26th, we're
organizing a non-violent civil disobedience action at the White
House. Nobody has said to us, "You really shouldn't be doing that.
That's a bad thing for the movement." Not everybody's going to
participate in it, but I think people understand that it's a part of
our toolbox, one of the tools that every movement for change, for
peace and justice uses it and we will continue to use it more and more.

PORTSIDE: The reason that these questions have a special pertinence
right now is that, as you said in your answer to the first question,
there's likely to be a bigger outpouring, probably with lots of
people who have never gone to a demonstration like this before, as a
result of the last few weeks, and that raises the ultimate question,
which is: What comes after September 24th?

LESLIE CAGAN: We are thinking about that now. It's always important
to be thinking about what's coming down the road in the next few
months, next year. And when you have such a large number of people
gathering it's important for people to come away with some ideas of
what comes next, where they're going, what they're being encouraged
to work on. A lot of the creative thinking in a movement like this
comes from the grassroots, comes from people in their own communities
out there every day organizing, talking to people, facing those
challenges. They often come up with the most creative ideas. As a
national coalition, we'll be calling on people to go right back home
and in the two weeks until October 8 to do local actions against the
war. We think it's very important to keep the momentum going and a
movement, as I said, is not only made up of many types of people who
use different tactics, it's also made up not just of national
demonstrations, but really the heart and soul of a movement like this
is what people do in their own communities, their schools, their work
places, religious institutions, in all the places that people gather
at the local level. So we hope that the mobilization in Washington
will strengthen the local work, and we're calling on people to turn
around and go right back home and do local actions. And the focus of
those actions we hope will be on really identifying and articulating
what we call the "local costs of the war." The most extreme example
of this, of course, is the situation in the Gulf Coast. But there are
many other examples too. The fact that National Guardspeople have
been pulled from states all around the country has tremendous local
consequences. I think it was a few months ago the governor of Oregon
was saying he was very concerned that as the summer was approaching
and there were so many National Guard people not there, what would
they do if they had really terrible forest fires this summer and not
have enough National Guardspeople to help with that?
A lot of the first responders from communities all around the country
are tied up in this war. That's another example of local costs of the
war, to say nothing of not having enough money for schools and
hospitals and libraries and day care and everything else. So the
focus of the October 8th demonstrations and activities, protests,
will be on the local costs of the war.

The other thing is that we're asking people to keep their eyes open
for what is bound to happen sooner rather than later, and that is
when the 2,000 US service person dies, we're now inching very close
to the 1,900 mark, and sometime within the next weeks or months,
we'll hit the 2,000 mark, and we think that should be another moment
when people are very visible and vocal in their opposition to the
war. The Congressional work will go on, the work on counter-
recruitment efforts will go on. We are going to be calling on clergy
people all around the country and people from every religious
tradition to use the weekend of November 11--Veteran's Day Weekend--
to do religious services and sermons to talk about the war, to raise
the question: Why is there another generation of veterans? When are
we going to stop creating more veterans? Those are some of the things
that we're projecting into the fall. A lot of this is about going
back home. Take your energy, take the spirit and the enthusiasm that
we know we'll see on the streets of Washington and take that back
home into your communities, into your localities and mobilize people.
Keep expanding this movement and keep the pressure on.

portside (the left side in nautical parlance) is a news, discussion
and debate service of the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy
and Socialism. It aims to provide varied material of interest to
people on the left.