[Peace-discuss] Re: [Wefta] Coercive harmony at WEFT

Paul M. King pmking at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 21 11:21:50 CDT 2005

Carl,

Why are you provoking people? This vote was very difficult for
me and this morning I question whether I did the right thing
last night. The charges, I think, were legitimate: disrespect,
dismissive of authority and excessively uncooperative. It is
indeed an admirable quality be able to dissent and engage in
conflict on behalf of justice, but there's also wisdom in
knowing when to concede and when to compromise, particularly
when we are all essentially working for the same goals. Being
right does not give one justification for pursuing a goal by
any means necessary. Everyone thought they were right last
night. George Bush thinks he is right too.

I fear that the divisiveness and deep-seated hostility that
has been generated by this issue will outweigh any good that
may come from it.

Where do we draw the line, as activists and dissenters? "The
Middle Way" has always been a favorite Buddhist mantra of
mine. Why eschew the good we can achieve by compromising an
absolute goal (achievable without falling victim to coercive
harmony) in favor of creating vicious hostility in its
achievement?

Respectfully,
..:: Paul King