[Peace-discuss] Re: [Wefta] Coercive harmony at WEFT

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 21 12:10:02 CDT 2005

I don't accept the description, Paul, but I'm "provoking
people" because I think that there's a dangerous tendency at
WEFT right now to freeze its boundaries, both in terms of
activities and personnel.  That's contrary to its being open
community radio.  WEFT can hardly "question authority"
vis-a-vis the national media regime and then condemn the same
thing internally.  It's of the nature of alternative radio to
contain some contestation.

And there's a lot of bad politics buried under the invocation
of "respect" as it's apparently understood in this country
today. "I respect you as a person (and not as an artichoke?)
but am eliminating you as an irritant."  That seems to be what
Nader is talking about as "coercive harmony."  It's how to
enforce "cooperation" since "everyone thinks they're right."

Madness has been described as the fear of the loss of control
of one's boundaries, and the notion has been extended to
groups and organizations.  I think WEFT is showing signs of
that craziness and has picked a scapegoat in Randall.  That's
a personal injustice, but even more it's a sign of how WEFT is
crippling itself.  And that would be a shame.

Regards, CGE