[Peace-discuss] Coercive harmony at WEFT

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 21 13:16:03 CDT 2005

But it's precisely disagreement/criticism/"the contentious"
that's at issue in AWARE, Ricky.

First, the gentle criticism of Obama's show was described as
"rude" and "demonizing," on a principle (urged by Imani) that
was slow to surface: that we need to treat black politicians
differently from white politicians.  People were angry when it
emerged and slow to defend it (it had been "misinterpreted"),
because it's obviously embarrassing to defend it as principle
or tactic.

Second, the disagreement over these matters (namely, the
actions and the principle on which they were to be condemned)
was to be suppressed by an "objective" consideration at an
AWARE meeting, which indeed became contentious.

Instead of their being debated directly, an effort has been
made to turn these matters into a discussion of "civility"
(with demands for punishments and apologies) but that seems
to me an example of exactly what Nader is talking about --
being "silenced for the sake of civility."  It is a civility
designed to shut people up (at politician's rallies, at
meetings, in flyers, etc.), which is presumably its purpose,
as Nader argues.

It's a tendency so pervasive (and I think so long-standing) in
our society that we have to import two Brits (Galloway and
Hitchens) in order to have a debate on the war.  And remember
that the proudest boast of our two-term (soon to be three)
congressman is that he's the founder in the House of
Representatives -- along with Dem. Rep. Israel of NY -- of the
(wait for it) "Civility Caucus."

But I think you're quite right about organization and
repression, and that's why we should do what we do.  I quoted
in this week's news notes, "Most of the population is strongly
opposed to [the administration's] policies, but is atomized,
demoralized, unorganized, and unable to respond
constructively. To change that is the task of activists who
care about the country and its future, and the world."

Of course the real reason we do it is so we can look at
ourselves in the mirror in the morning.  And that may require
some contention.

Regards, CGE