[Peace-discuss] Brits bust out their own

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 21 14:23:29 CDT 2005

[I wish it were stupidity, rather than viciousness, Ricky.
But of course I agree that the US should pull out immediately
"if not sooner."  I think this incident quite ominous -- and
not just because it's evidence of what we'll do when we can't
even can't keep our puppet on a string.  Much more important
is that it lends support to the argument in this week's news
notes, that at least some of the presumed suicide bombings are
in fact "black advances" by the US/UK (and perhaps Israel) --
murderous operations (sometimes called "false flag") designed
to be blamed on the insurgency.  The two Brit soldiers at the
center of this incident (an "incident" from which at least
five peole will never live in this world again) may indeed
have been working undercover as bombers. Here are selections
from "Another Day in the Empire" <kurtnimmo.com>.  --CGE]

[The Washington Post says,] “Iraqi security officials on
Monday variously accused the two Britons they detained of
shooting at Iraqi forces or trying to plant explosives.
Photographs of the two men in custody showed them in civilian
clothes.” The Herald [UK] notes the following: “Sources say
the British soldiers, possibly members of the new Special
Reconnaissance Regiment formed earlier this month to provide
intelligence for SAS operations, were looking at infiltration
of the city’s police by the followers of the outspoken Shi’ite
cleric, Moqtada al Sadr,” thus admitting the soldiers worked
undercover.

The “Special Reconnaissance Regiment ... [was] formed ... to
support international expeditionary operations in the fight
against international terrorism, absorbing 14th Intelligence
Company (formed for operations against Ulster terrorists),
Intelligence Corps, and releasing the SAS and SBS for the
‘hard end’ of missions.” Is it possible the “hard end” of the
“mission” in Iraq is to discredit the resistance and sow chaos
in the country by fronting pseudo-gang terrorist groups (or
the variant “pseudo-guerilla operations”), as the British have
ample experience with elsewhere, notably in Kenya during the
Mau Mau uprising and in Malaya? “Pseudo operations are those
in which government forces disguised as guerrillas, normally
along with guerrilla defectors, operate as teams to infiltrate
insurgent areas,” writes Lawrence E. Cline for the U.S. Army
War College External Research Associates Program. “This
technique has been used by the security forces of several
other countries in their operations, and typically it has been
very successful”...

The British SAS honed its “counter-insurgency” techniques in
Northern Ireland and there is no reason to believe it has
refrained from doing so in Iraq. “Formed to perform acts of
sabotage and assassination behind enemy lines during World War
2, the SAS evolved into a counter-insurgency regiment after
the war,” writes Sean Mac Mathuna. Mathuna cites a 1969 Army
Training manual (British Army Land Operations Manual, volume
3, counter-revolutionary operations) that enumerates several
“tasks,” including:

    --the ambush and harassment of insurgents, the
infiltration of sabotage, assassination and demolition parties
into insurgent-held areas, border surveillance … liaison with,
and organization of friendly guerrilla forces operating
against the common enemy.

Examples “were found during the Mau-Mau rebellion in Kenya
during the mid-fifties,” Mathuna explains, “when SAS officers
commanded some of the infamous ‘pseudo gangs’ that terrorized
the civilian population,” and

    --in Borneo, where they used cross-border operations to
attack and destroy guerrilla bases; and in Aden in 1967, where
they dressed as Arabs and would use an Army officer to lure
Arab gunmen into a trap and kill them. To defeat the
insurgents counter-terror must be deployed back at them -—
described by Ken Livingstone as “subverting the subverters”...

In order to “subvert the subverters” and discredit the IRA in
Northern Ireland, the SAS formed the Military Reconnaissance
Force (MRF), a covert pseudo-gang. “During the 1972 [IRA]
ceasefire the MRF shot civilians from unmarked cars using IRA
weapons,” writes Mathuna. “In November 1972 the Army admitted
that the MRF had done this on three occasions. One of these
incidents happened on 22nd June 1972 -— the day the IRA
announced its intention to introduce a ceasefire. The
shootings appear to have been done to discredit the IRA...”

    "It is clear now, that because elements within the
security forces did not want a political deal with the IRA in
the mid-seventies, and the military solution was only possible
with a change at the top of the Labour leadership, MI5 and the
SAS were prepared to use the same methods the IRA are
condemned for -- civilian deaths, assassinations, bombings and
black propaganda -— to bring this about."

In fact, so effective were these “military solution”
pseudo-gang terrorist techniques the French employed them in
Algeria and Vietnam. “The most widespread use of pseudo-type
operations was during the ‘Battle of Algiers’ in 1957,”
explains Lawrence E. Cline. “The principal French employer of
covert agents in Algiers was the Fifth Bureau, the
psychological warfare branch.” The Fifth Bureau “planted
incriminating forged documents, spread false rumours of
treachery and fomented distrust among the [FLN, the National
Liberation Front] ... As a frenzy of throat-cutting and
disemboweling broke out among confused and suspicious FLN
cadres, nationalist slaughtered nationalist from April to
September 1957 and did France’s work for her,” notes Cline,
quoting Martin S. Alexander and J. F. V. Kieger (“France and
the Algerian War: Strategy, Operations, and Diplomacy,”
Journal of Strategic Studies, Vol. 25, No. 2, June 2002, pp. 6-7).

Even though the Washington Post mentions two Brits were
detained, apparently caught red-handed shooting Iraqi police
and planting explosives, it does not bother to mention the SAS
or its long and sordid history of engaging in covert
pseudo-gang behavior and conclude the obvious: Britain, and
the United States -— the latter having admitted formulating
the Proactive Preemptive Operations Group (P2OG) in 2002, a
brain child of neocons staffing the Pentagon’s Defense Science
Board, designed to “stimulate reactions” on the part of
“terrorists” (in Iraq, that would be the resistance) -— are
intimately involved in sowing chaos and spreading violence in
Iraq and more than likely soon enough in Iran and Syria...

It is not surprising the corporate media in the United States
and Britain would omit crucial details on this story. In order
to get the whole story, we have to go elsewhere —- for
instance, China’s Xinhuanet news agency. “Two persons wearing
Arab uniforms [see the M.O. cited above] opened fire at a
police station in Basra. A police patrol followed the
attackers and captured them to discover they were two British
soldiers,” an Interior Ministry source told Xinhua. “The two
soldiers were using a civilian car packed with explosives, the
source said”...