[Peace-discuss] Hi From Olean, See You In DC

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at hearthstead.net
Thu Sep 22 08:14:01 CDT 2005

Hi,

I still miss you all.  Our Olean Area Coalition for Peace and Justice
(way-western tip of New York State) , whose formation was inspired by AWARE
after we left C-U about 3 years ago due to husband Barry's job, is still
thriving.   We have a speaker series, presence on the streets,
counter-recruitment work, etc.  We marched for the third year in a row in
the July 4th Parade (held this year Sept 2nd with the theme of Support the
Troops).  Of note, the local Chamber of Commerce actually sent us an
invitation to join, (announcing they feel we support the troups.  However,
incidents occurred (we had many differences in how to handle some of
them).   First,  the Boy Scout troop leader announced that he wouldn't
march in the parade if we were in it.  The troop was scheduled to lead the
parade.   After much discussion -- we gently but firmly refused to
withdraw-- he grudgingly came along.  The Chamber of Commerce staffer was
totally fried that this happened.  Then, more seriously, as the parade
passed the Olean Mall, Barry was hit by a rock thrown by an angry bystander
dressed in camouflage.  The man was with a local veterans' group.  He
lobbed a bunch of small rocks at our contingent, which included two (very)
pregnant ladies and many folks "up there" in age.  Fortunately no one was
hurt.   It brought home how much we need each other, as literal and
figurative rocks are being thrown at us from many sources.   For the
record, when Barry spoke with one of the objectors, citing that he is a
veteran, the man called him a "bad veteran".

We're going to DC with other members of our peace group -- yay -- two
contingents, one leaving Friday evening and the other, including Barry,
Nadine (who is now 13)  and me, leaving 4:30 AM Saturday morning.  Our
drive is a "mere" 6 hours, at least when Barry drives.  Erek (our son) is
now in college and said he plans to be there as well.    It would be nice
to fill a bus -- as it is, we have cars and probably a college van.   I'm
excited about your large contingent.   I hope we see some of you in DC.

What else is happening -- Barry is buying a vintage diesel Jetta that he
hopes to use with veggie oil, and is enjoying tinkering in his first-ever
garage-workshop..  Nadine is studying flute part-time at Eastman School in
Rochester, and she and I have a contra-dance band together that is
performing, even doing some traveling.  We do Quebecois, Irish, New
England, etc. music.  Nadine's amazing with fast reels complete with
foot-percussion and flute at the same time.   Erek just started Swarthmore
College and plans to major in biology and possibly double-major with public
policy.   He's also organizing music festivals at the college.  I'm still
plugging away at music, homeschooling, some writing, and
photography.   We're all hoping for a better world and realize it takes a
lot of us to get that happening.

Anyone who wants to email us news of how they are doing, please do -- we
love to hear from our friends, in and out of AWARE.   No immediate plans to
visit C-U but if I do I hope to be at least one AWARE event.

Warmly,

Barbara Dyskant
Always an 'AWARE member