[Peace-discuss] More Obama

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 26 12:43:00 CDT 2005

Actually, Mort, I did say that I didn't think that Obama
was at all comparable to the luminaries I mentioned. He
is, however, a member of the human race, and deserves
to be treated with at least a little respect lest we
completely succumb to pride and thereby make ourselves
irrelevant or worse.

One makes war by first arguing that ones opponents are
subhuman. After convincing oneself of this, war becomes easy
to justify. I do not think that we can make peace by making
war on those who we see as opposing peace. We then become
no better than our opponents. I do not think Obama is as
bad as you do, but my argument applies in either case.

Bob