[Peace-discuss] Church presence…

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Tue Apr 4 23:46:57 CDT 2006

We should invite this guy to join us. --mkb

==================================

ZNet Commentary
Why I am a Christian (sort of) April 06, 2006
By Robert Jensen

I don't believe in God.

I don't believe Jesus Christ was the son of a God that I don't
believe in, nor do I believe Jesus rose from the dead to ascend to a
heaven that I don't believe exists.

Given these positions, this year I did the only thing that seemed
sensible: I formally joined a Christian church.

Standing before the congregation of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
in Austin, TX, I affirmed that I (1) endorsed the core principles in
Christ's teaching; (2) intended to work to deepen my understanding
and practice of the universal love at the heart of those principles;
and (3) pledged to be a responsible member of the church and the
larger community.

So, I'm a Christian, sort of. A secular Christian. A Christian
atheist, perhaps. But, in a deep sense, I would argue, a real Christian.

A real Christian who doesn't believe in God? This claim requires some
explanation about the reasons I joined, and also opens up a
discussion of what the term "Christian" could, or should, mean.

First, whatever my beliefs about the nature of the non-material world
or my views on spirituality, I live in a country that is extremely
religious, especially compared to other technologically advanced
industrial nations. Surveys show that about 80 percent of Americans
identify as Christian and 5 percent as some other faith. And beyond
self-identification, a 2002 poll showed that 67 percent of all people
in the poll agreed that the United States is a "Christian nation"; 48
percent said they believed that the United States has "special
protection from God"; 58 percent said that America's strength is
based on religious faith; and 47 percent asserted that a belief in
God is necessary to be moral.

While 84 percent in that 2002 poll agreed that one can be a "good
American" without religious faith, clearly there's an advantage to
being able to speak within a religious framework in the contemporary
United States.

So, my decision to join a church was more a political than a
theological act. As a political organizer interested in a variety of
social-justice issues, I look for places to engage people in
discussion. In a depoliticized society such as the United States --
where ordinary people in everyday spaces do not routinely talk about
politics and underlying values -- churches are one of the few places
where such engagement is possible. Even though many ministers and
churchgoers shy away from making church a place for discussion of
specific political issues, people there expect to engage fundamental
questions about what it means to be human and the obligations we owe
each other -- questions that are always at the core of politics.

The pastor and most of the congregation at St. Andrew's understand my
reasons for joining, realizing that I didn't convert in a theological
sense but joined a moral and political community. There's nothing
special about me in this regard -- many St. Andrew's members I've
talked to are seeking community and a place for spiritual, moral and
political engagement. The church is expansive in defining faith; the
degree to which members of the congregation believe in God and Christ
in traditional terms varies widely. Many do, some don't, and a whole
lot of folks seem to be searching. St. Andrew's offers a safe space
and an exciting atmosphere for that search. in collaboration with
others.

Such expansiveness raises questions about the definition of
Christian. Many no doubt would reject the idea that such a church is
truly Christian and would argue that a belief in the existence of God
and the divinity of Christ are minimal requirements for claiming to
be a person of Christian faith.

Such a claim implies that an interpretation of the Bible can be
cordoned off as truth-beyond-challenge. But what if the Bible is more
realistically read symbolically and not literally? What if that's the
case even to the point of seeing Christ's claim to being the son of
God as simply a way of conveying fundamental moral principles? What
if the resurrection is metaphor? What if "God" is just the name we
give to the mystery that is beyond our ability to comprehend through
reason?

In such a conception of faith, an atheist can be a Christian. A Hindu
can be a Christian. Anyone can be a Christian, and a Christian can
find a connection to other perspectives and be part of other faiths.
With such a conception of faith, a real ecumenical spirit and
practice is possible. Identification with a religious tradition can
become a way to lower barriers between people, not raise them ever
higher.

We can ground this process in the ethical principles common to almost
all religious and secular philosophical systems, one of which is the
assertion that we should treat others as we would like to be treated.
For example:

--None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he
wishes for himself (Islam).

--Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (Christianity).

--Act only on that maxim that you can will a universal law (Kant).

One of the most playful and powerful ways this has been conveyed is
in the story of the gentile who challenged two Jewish rabbis to teach
him the Torah in the time that he could stand on one foot. One rabbi
dismissed the question, but Hillel, one of the great Jewish
theologians of the first century BCE, told the man: "That which is
hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah;
the rest is commentary. Go and study it."

There is an important struggle going on for the soul of Christianity,
which should be of concern to everyone, Christian or not. The debate
is not just at the level of arguments over whether, for example,
certain Old Testament passages should be interpreted to condemn
homosexuality. The deeper struggle is over whether Christianity is to
be understood as a closed set of answers that leads to the
intensification of these boundaries, or as an invitation to explore
questions that help people transcend boundaries. Such a struggle is
going on not only within Christianity, but in all the major world
religions.

Where can this lead? Some might argue that promoting such expansive
conceptions of faith would eventually make the term Christian
meaningless. If one can be a Christian without accepting the
resurrection, then calling oneself Christian would have no meaning
beyond an expression of support for some basic moral principles that
are near-universal. That is partly true; if this strategy were
successful, at some point people would stop fussing about who is and
isn't a Christian -- and that would be a good thing. The same process
could go on in other religions as well. Christianity could do its
part to help usher in a period of human history in which people
stopped obsessing about how to mark the boundaries of a faith group
and instead committed to living those values more fully.

In other words, the task of Christians -- and, I would argue, all
religions -- is to make themselves more relevant in the short term by
being a site of such political and moral engagement, with the goal of
ensuring their ultimate irrelevance. The task of religion,
paradoxically, is to bring into being a world based on the universal
values that underlie most major theological and philosophical systems
-- compassion, empathy, solidarity, dignity. Such a world would be
truly based on love and real solidarity, a world in which we would
take seriously the claim that all people have exactly the same value.

In his 1927 lecture "Why I Am Not a Christian," the philosopher
Bertrand Russell said: "A good world ... needs a fearless outlook and
a free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back
all the time toward a past that is dead."

I couldn't agree more, and I joined a Christian church to be part of
that hope for the future, to struggle to make religion a force that
can help usher into existence a world in which we can imagine living
in peace with each other and in sustainable relation to the non-human
world.

Such a task requires a fearlessness and intelligence beyond what we
have mustered to date, but it also requires a faith in our ability to
achieve it.

That is why I am a Christian.

Robert Jensen is a journalism professor at the University of Texas at
Austin, board member of the Third Coast Activist Resource Center
( http://thirdcoastactivist.org), and the author of The Heart of
Whiteness: Confronting Race, Racism and White Privilege and Citizens
of the Empire: The Struggle to Claim Our Humanity. He can be reached
at rjensen at uts.cc.utexas.edu .