[Peace-discuss] letter to TJ passed around at meeting

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 15:41:27 CDT 2006

Date __________________________

Congressman Tim Johnson
2004 Fox Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Dear Congressman Johnson,

I write in response to your recent vote in favor of HR
4437, Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal
Immigration Control Act of 2005.

As your constituent I am extremely disappointed with
your vote for this bill, which has the sole purpose to
criminalize and dehumanize undocumented immigrants who
are working in this country, contributing to our
economy, and who have come in search of better
opportunities for their families.  This bill would
further the erosion of due process for immigrants by
eliminating any potential possibility of a hearing
before a judge to review their case, denying the
opportunity for eligible undocumented immigrants to
legalize their status, and refusing them the
opportunity to be reunited with family members.

This year, and especially as election time approaches,
I ask you to reconsider your vote on this issue.  I
specifically ask that when the Student Adjustment Act
(HR 1684) is reintroduced in the House that you vote
in favor of it.  As mportant as education is to us in
the United States, and especially here in the UIUC
community, I urge you to become a true legislator of
your district and co-sponsor the Student Adjustment
Act.  This bill is a real solution to the current
broken immigration system.  Dire reality is that each
year there are approximately 65,000 students that
graduate from high schools nationwide and who, for the
most part, are not allowed to continue their education
after HS.  Merely because of their immigration status
these students are pushed into a work field that will
never allow them to reach their full potential.  Do
not punish these students for merely trying to fulfill
their lives in the place they consider home.  Do not
deny them an education.

Sincerely,

Name

Street Address