[Peace-discuss] Returning vets

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 13 16:00:11 CDT 2006

Bob,

It must have been hard for you, no matter who the critics were
or where the critism came from.

For those coming back from Iraq, they are suffering. Studies
show high incidences of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and
other problems that are hard to diagnose. Our society suffers
with them. In so many ways, the cost of this war is uncountable.

I really do want to welcome the Illinois troops home, as
people who have travelled too far and seen too much; and what
they have seen has been war.

For those of us who have travelled in safer situations, those
experiences stay with us all our lives and influence the way
we see the world. How much more so this would be if we had
seen the ugliest side of the world.

There is nothing uglier than war. My brothers and sisters have
witnessed it. I will welcome them home.

-karen medina