[Peace-discuss] Returning vets

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 13 16:36:28 CDT 2006

Welcoming someone home is fine, but it's important to distinguish
welcoming soldiers home from celebrating what they've been doing --
especially when the USG is working hard to identify those two.  We all
know that "Support the Troops" is a covert way of saying support the
war.  We heard it again Tuesday night.

Independent accounts of the American military in Iraq (viz., from the
foreign press) have routinely emphasized how ill-trained, undisciplined,
brutal and trigger-happy they are (e.g., a British correspondent on the
scene typically describes the 82nd Airborne as "thugs").

One can argue (correctly I think) that this state of the military is at
least in part due to the wretched way the Pentagon has run the war: the
Germans didn't have this much trouble conquering France.

But we also found after the fact that My Lai was not an aberration.  It
was an example of how the US ran the war in Vietnam.  And revulsion at
what they were being asked to do was one element in the revolt of the
conscript army a generation ago.

A test to see if something is proper to say about US soldiers in Iraq is
to ask whether it could also be said of the members of the Wehrmacht
(e.g., that they were victims as well as perpetrators -- as they were).
  Invading armies both, the principal thing that separates them is time.
  --CGE