[Peace-discuss] Spat on?

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 14 09:56:13 CDT 2006

Dear Mort,

You bring up good points. I'll try to address them as
follows: guilt by volunteering to do wrong; the guilty not
being victims; no nobility in being part of aggression;
should the Germans have cheered the SS; and Hiroshima haunts
us.

I think a lot of my answers will center around my philosophy
of human nature, so I'll start with explaining it just a bit.
I believe that very few human beings are truly evil. I think
we make a lot of mistakes in trying to figure out what is
good and what is bad. Some mistakes are worse than others.
When we make a mistake, recovering from that mistake and
going on to never make it again is really hard -- painful. It
requires a lot of reflection, analysis, and most that we
admit to ourselves that we were wrong. We become more evil
every time we lie to ourselves.

Guilt by volunteering to do wrong:
Yes. Many of the people who go in to the military do not
realize that they are being lied to. And admittedly, some
enjoy the opportunity to be cruel and violent. Most don't.
Are they all guilty? Is ignorance a legitimate excuse? Of
course it is not. But if they are ever to recognize their
guilt and then to recover from it, they are going to need
opportunities to do so. If your child ever made a mistake,
you would still be glad when they returned alive.

The guilty not being victims:
One can be guilty and still a victim.

No nobility in being part of aggression:
We all make mistakes in assuming that the use of force or
power is more efficient in accomplishing our goals.
Recovering from those mistakes is what is important.

Should the Germans have cheered the SS:
Not cheered. Welcoming them and cheering them are two
different things.

Hiroshima haunts us.
Iraq and Afghanistan will eventually haunt all of us. Right
now it haunts at least 60% of us.

At the township meeting the other night, there were people
who think we should have stayed in Vietnam. They bought in to
a way of thinking. And in order to live with themselves, they
continue to buy in to it. I think, if they had felt less
defensive about all of it, they would be more likely to open
up to the possibility that they were wrong all along.

To summarize, I think at least one member of the returning
troops will be ready to recover. But an aggressive presence
on our part will not force them to it any faster.

-karen medina