[Peace-discuss] Negroponte and death squads…

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Apr 16 13:52:30 CDT 2006

This from the Burbules list serve:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1753653,00.html
US allies are behind the death squads and ethnic cleansing

While the article was very interesting in itself, one of the reader
comments (by Ogun) made me think back to a question you raised not
too long ago, about why death squads always seem to follow Negroponte
around everywhere he goes:

[Ogun April 14, 2006 09:58 AM]

These are not "US allies": the death squads were trained by US
intelligence under Negroponte as a deliberate attempt to apply the
"Salvador option" -- ie a strategy of covert mass murder via local
proxies as used in El Salvador. . . whereby a deathsquad pretends to
be insurgents or "Al Qaeda" and then either sucks in and exposes real
insurgents, or commits some terrible atrocity (like blowing up a
Shiite temple or pilgrims?) in an attempt to discredit the insurgency
or to promote civil war. This was all written about by Seymour Hersh
in the New Yorker over a year ago:

"The new rules will enable the Special Forces community to set up
what it calls "action teams" in the target countries overseas which
can be used to find and eliminate terrorist organizations. "Do you
remember the right-wing execution squads in El Salvador?" the former
high-level intelligence official asked me, referring to the military-
led gangs that committed atrocities in the early nineteen-eighties.
"We founded them and we financed them," he said. "The objective now
is to recruit locals in any area we want. And we aren't going to tell
Congress about it." A former military officer, who has knowledge of
the Pentagon's commando capabilities, said, "We're going to be riding
with the bad boys."

--mkb