[Peace-discuss] Almost anti-war...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 17 19:44:22 CDT 2006

[Hesitancy at best (subversion at worst) in the anti-war movement is
described by <http://amleft.blogspot.com/>.  --CGE]

On Thursday, I observed how United for Peace and Justice was sponsoring
a major antiwar rally without mentioning Iran. On Friday, I received an
e-mail message from UFPJ, as did many others. It explained UFPJ's
position on the proposed war against Iran, as set forth on the UFPJ website:

     "United for Peace and Justice opposes any military action against
Iran, as well as covert action and sanctions. We reject the doctrine of
'preventive war.'  All diplomatic solutions must be pursued.

     "Send a clear message to the Bush Administration: Don't Attack
Iran! As a first and immediate step, we urge you to add your signature
and comments to AfterDowningStreet's petition to President Bush and
Vice-President Cheney opposing an attack on Iran.

     "Many UFPJ member groups, including AfterDowningStreet, Gold Star
Families for Peace, CodePINK: Women for Peace, Progressive Democrats of
America, Democracy Rising, and others, are all promoting this petition.
UFPJ encourages you to circulate this message and help expand the
growing list of signers.

     "Efforts to resolve any dispute with Iran should include promoting
negotiations –- including Israel –- on a Weapons of Mass Destruction
Free Zone in the Middle East. We call for the global elimination of
nuclear weapons. The United States should stop blocking negotiations on
abolition and demonstrate leadership by taking steps to fulfill its own
nuclear disarmament obligation. We call for the development and
promotion of sustainable energy alternatives. We need to stop going to
war for oil. And we need to address climate change. But nuclear power is
not the answer: Every nuclear power plant is a potential bomb factory
and a source of radioactive waste that will remain deadly forever.
Additional Iran resources and action items will be available shortly on
the UFPJ website. And, be sure to join us in New York on April 29 in the
national March for Peace, Justice and Democracy."

And, UFPJ confronts some of the underlying assumptions that are used to
justify a "preemptive attack":

     "An attack on Iran would be an act of aggression, barred by the UN
Charter and prosecuted at Nuremberg. If executed, U.S. military action
would apply the Bush doctrine of 'preventive' war in an unprecedented
way that would set the template for years or decades of regional and
global violence, unrestrained by law. U.S. use of nuclear weapons
against Iran would be an atrocious act violating the existing near taboo
that has held since the U.S. devastation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. That
would in turn make it far more likely that the weapons will be used
elsewhere as well -- including against cities in the U.S.

     "While Washington accuses Iran of seeking nuclear weapons under
cover of a civilian nuclear power program, in violation of its
obligations as a non-nuclear nation under the Nuclear Nonproliferation
Treaty (NPT), the U.S. is itself in blatant violation of its own NPT
obligation to eliminate its vast and sophisticated nuclear arsenal.
There is no evidence that Iran has a nuclear weapons program. The U.S.,
however, retains a nuclear arsenal of more than 10,000 weapons, some
2,000 on hair-trigger alert. With nearly 500 tactical nuclear weapons
deployed in 6 NATO countries, the U.S. is the only country with nuclear
weapons deployed on foreign soil. And the U.S. is modernizing its
existing nuclear weapons and publicly making plans to develop and
produce new ones."

Meanwhile, as Norman Solomon observes, MoveOn.org remains unwilling to
oppose anything other than a nuclear attack. Here's the weak response
that Solomon received when he inquired about it:

     "A response came on April 13 from Eli Pariser, executive director
of MoveOn. Here is his three-paragraph reply in its entirety:

     'As you know, our focus is on bringing people together around
points of consensus. We build our advocacy agenda through dialogue with
our members. Since we haven’t done any work around Iran thus far, we saw
the prospect of a nuclear attack as a good way to begin that
conversation -- something everyone can agree was nuts.

     'As I mention in the ["Don’t Nuke Iran"] email, a conventional
attack poses many of the same risks as a nuclear one. But just as our
Iraq campaign started with a position that attracted a broad membership
-- "Ask Tough Questions," in August 2002 -- and then escalated, so we’re
trying here to engage folks beyond the "peace" community in a national
discussion about the consequences of war.

     'We wouldn’t have had the membership to be able to run ads calling
for an Iraq exit today if we’d confined our Iraq campaign to the true
believers from the very beginning.'”

In other words, MoveOn.org had to wait until thousands more Iraqis were
killed, thousands more detained and tortured, while corporados
associated with the Bush Administration looted the country for billions
before it could take a stand in support of ending the occupation, and
should pursue a similarly ponderous discussion about Iran without
urgency. But such an analysis naively takes a disingenous reply at face
value. Solomon asserts, probably accurately, that the overwhelming
majority of MoveOn.org members oppose military action against Iran.

So, what we really have here is the effort of the self-described
MoveOn.org Political Action Team to stall, to avoid taking a principled
stand, as a means of relieving pressure on congressional Democrats,
until it can no longer be avoided, as they previously did to evade an
open declaration against the occupation. It was a rather strange
coincidence, they apparently came out against the occupation as
congressional Democrats began to openly consider a phased withdrawal
from Iraq. Indeed, I can't even confidently say when it happened, the
announcement gently brushed the public consciousness, most assuredly
lacking the Zen-like prospect of transformation associated with a
butterfly moving its wings.

Yet again, instead of providing leadership, the "action team" is
actually an impediment, a barrier that MoveOn.org members must overcome
to have their true opinion expressed. There is an old saying, "History
repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce." In this instance, we
can more accurately say, "History repeats itself, ever more
ludicrously." People with even longer memories about the mendacity of
MoveOn.org recall how it created a safe harbor for congressional
Democrats before the Iraq war, by stating that the war was wrong, unless
authorized by a UN resolution.

By doing so, MoveOn.org accomplished two critical objectives: (1)
allowing congressional Democrats to support the war in the unlikely
event that Bush obtained a UN resolution; and, more importantly, (2)
allowing congressional Democrats to engage in the hypocritical display
of supporting the occupation as a purportedly grim necessity while
parading their pre-war credentials of opposition. As already noted,
MoveOn.org members eventually rebelled against such transparently
cynical politics, but it took a long time for them to overcome the
political manipulation of the "action team", if they did so at all,
given the yellow light of cautious approval from congressional Democrats
for a change in policy.

Hence, with Iran, we hear the same nonsense, MoveOn.org needs to educate
and consult. A national discusssion is needed. Nonsense, because
MoveOn.org is clearly an organization run from the top down, purveying
the illusion of mass participation. Liberals love to bash ANSWER as some
kind of Maoist/Stalinist/Trotyskite vanguardist organization (an
organization with which I have had no personal experience, being
philosophically more of an anti-globalization, direct action type), but
isn't it odd that they have no problem with MoveOn.org, an organization
that actually operates consistent with such an approach? Meanwhile,
let's hope that we don't live through the entirety of an
incomprehensibly violent war in the Middle East, provoked by
conventional airstrikes upon Iran, before MoveOn.org completes the
charade of a "national discussion".

	###