[Peace-discuss] Re almost anti-war

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 11:39:42 CDT 2006

I think that part of the motivation might be that some
of us would like to distinguish among those who oppose
the war on pragmatic grounds (it didn't work), in
contrast to those who opposed it on principled grounds
(it was wrong). The former are trying to save face,
and are more concerned with the fortunes of liberalism
and the Democratic Party. The latter are concerned
with setting an example that will prevent future wars,
unlikely to be opposed by the former when push comes
to shove at the New York Times. I think that this is a
legitmate motivation for those of us who want an
antiwar movement that will be able to sustain itself
for future challenges. In terms of vision and
strategy, MoveOn is not part of the antiwar movement.
It's concerned about electing Democrats.

David Green