[Peace-discuss] Re almost anti-war

Dan Schreiber dan at sourcegear.com
Tue Apr 18 15:40:00 CDT 2006

I don't want to belabor this too much, but I don't believe MoveOn advocated
for the Iraq war, and is now concerned about saving face because of it.

MoveOn seems similar to me to the half a dozen other
liberal/progressive/leftist organizations that I get email from.  I remember
them organizing a bunch of vigils when Cindy Sheehan first broke onto the
national scene.  It may be that their primary focus is electing Democrats,
but that shouldn't disqualify them from being part of the antiwar movement.

This isn't to defend MoveOn against criticism that they are too cautious or
mainstream, although that doesn't bother me if it is true.  I just wish we
could join with natural allies, rather than attack them for not being as
aggressive as we want them to be.  If there is to be a long term peace
movement in this country that sustains itself, we need a bigger tent, not a
smaller one.

Dan