[Peace-discuss] Almost anti-war...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 18 15:32:24 CDT 2006

The point is, Dan, that those opposed to the war are *not* on
the same side as some self-styled "progressives" like
MoveOn.org, Barack Obama, etc.  These latter are not really
opposed to the war -- they're just opposed to Republicans'
running the war.

As Cindy Sheehan has pointed out, you're either for the end of
the war or for its continuance (or even for its expansion into
Iran, as both Obama and MoveOn are).  She makes it clear that
groups like MoveOn are not just "moving too slowly and
cautiously" but are going in the wrong direction, and that
should be exposed and rejected.  That's not a matter of
"purity" but of course.

There was at least one local incident when MoveOn folks tried
to prevent the large AWARE casualty photos from being
displayed at a demonstration.  These people and liberals like
Obama are not allies -- they're Trojan hobby-horses, perhaps.
We'd do much better to notice that many people opposed in
principle to war (and not just expediently) consider
themselves to belong to other parts of the political spectrum
(the paleo-conservatives, for example).

Towards the end of the Vietnam War, it was fashionable in the
academy for faculty to proclaim themselves "anti-war
radicals," when of course they never had been.  As public
opinion in the US turns firmly against this war, we're seeing
something of the same phenomenon.  But what MoveOn and Obama
are doing isn't that innocent.

Regards, Carl