[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Bambi in public debate

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 16:15:20 CDT 2006

Thanks for posting this, Karen.

It's certainly an important struggle, as all civil
rights are, but actually I wouldn't anticipate this
discussion being either "thought-provoking" or
"entertaining".  Maybe that's just the old grouch in
me.

The issue is pretty clear, I think.  The State should
not exclude certain classes of its citizens from
participating in equality before the law, regardless
of whether individual religious groups in the country
are willing to help.  Any other position gives state
sanction to one religious faction over another.

And that's exactly why it was a useful hobby horse to
turn out the Religious Right for our Torturer-in-Chief
last election.

Silly and anti-intellectual arguments about "Adam and
Steve", extinction of the human race (we are not
increasing as fast as we could, you know), or how many
same-sex sexual/parenting relationships among how many
other species of animals would make it okay - or not -
for humans to follow suit, as if such a thing could be
legislated or harassed away, seem to me beside the
point but much more likely to arise in the discussion
than anything pertinent.  Oh- and the Clinton Admin's
"sanctity of marriage" nonsense is sure to come up,
too.  Ugh!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to anyone willing to
sit through this, but I'd rather have a root canal or
argue about whether the moon is made of green cheese.
Sorry.

Ricky