[Peace-discuss] Hawaii to Iraq

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 16:16:35 CDT 2006

I think that Kinzer does a great service, but I would
have at least one concern. From the portions of the
interview yesterday on DN that I saw, he seems to be
saying that--for example--if only we hadn't overthrown
Mossadegh in 1953, we would have had a liberal
democracy in Iran all these years, and wouldn't the
whole Middle East look different, implying that our
leaders would be happy with that. Well, yes it would,
and no they wouldn't, and that's exactly why we
wouldn't allow that to happen. Kinzer still subscribes
(I think) to the "good intentions gone wrong" version
of history, rather than imperial intentions done well,
if messily, with too many dead bodies left behind. We
put a lot of effort into making sure that Arab
nationalism could not set a bad example for the Middle
East--in Iraq in 1958, in Egypt in 1967, etc. We put a
lot of effort into making sure that Saudi Arabia does
not become democratic, or Kuwiat, for that matter.

David Green