[Peace-discuss] Science and God

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 10 23:15:57 CST 2006

	God and Creation
	Herbert McCabe

In my view to assert that God exists is to claim the right and need to
carry on an activity, to be engaged in research, and I think this throws
light on what we are doing if we try to prove the existence of God. To
prove the existence of God is to prove that some questions still need
asking, that the world poses these questions for us.

To prove the existence of God, then, would be rather like proving the
validity of science -- I don't mean science as a body of established
facts set out in textbooks or journals, but science as an intellectual
activity, the activity of research currently going on; and not just
routine research which consists in looking for the answers to clearly
formulated questions by means of clearly established techniques, but the
research which is the growing point of science, the venture into the
unknown.

It is perfectly possible to deny the validity of this. It is perfectly
possible to say we now have science (we didn't have it in the eighth
century, let us say, but we have it now). It is just there; from now on
it is all really just a matter of tidying up a few details. Now of
course all the really great advances in science have come by questioning
just that, by questioning, let us say, whether the Newtonian world is
really the last word, by digging down and asking questions of what
everybody has come to take for granted. But you could imagine quite
easily a society which discouraged such radical questioning. In this
century we have seen totalitarian societies which have been extremely
keen on improving their technology and answering detailed questions
within the accepted framework of science, but extremely hostile to the
kind of radical thinking I am envisaging; the kind of society where
Wernher von Braun Is honoured and Einstein is exiled. I also think that
the same effect can be produced in more subtle ways in societies that
don't look totalitarian. And of course it was notoriously produced In
the Church confronted by Galileo. The asking of radical questions is
discouraged by any society that believes in itself, believes it has
found the answers, believes that only its authorised questions are
legitimate.

Faced with such hostility or such incomprehension, you can, of course,
say: well, wait and see: you will find that in spite of everything,
science will make startling and quite unexpected changes, that our whole
world view will shift in ways we cannot now predict or imagine. But that
is just to assert your belief. And this I think is parallel to asserting
your belief in God. I think a belief in God -- in the sense of a belief
in the validity of the kind of radical question to which God would be
the answer -- is a part of human flourishing and that one who closes
himself off from it is to that extent deficient. For this reason I
welcome, such belief in God, but what I am asking myself now is not
whether I believe, but what grounds I have for such belief. And here
again I think the analogy with proving the validity of fundamental
thinking in science is helpful. How, after all, do we show that there is
still a long and probably unexpected road to travel in science? By
pointing to anomalies in the present scientific world picture. If your
world picture includes, for example, the idea of ether as the medium in
which light waves occur, then there is an anomaly if it turns out to be
impossible to determine the velocity of a light source with respect to
the ether; and so on. Now in a parallel way, it seems to me, proofs for
the existence of God point to anomalies in a world picture which
excludes the God question. It is, it seems to me, quite anomalous to
hold that while it is legitimate and valid to ask 'How come?' about any
particular thing or event in the world, it is illegitimate and invalid
to ask it about the whole world. To say that we aren't allowed to ask it
merely because we can't answer it seems to me to be begging the
question. The question is: Is there an unanswered question about the
existence of the world? Can we be puzzled by the existence of the world
instead of nothing? I can be and am; and this is to be puzzled about God.

The question 'How come?' can have a whole lot of different meanings and
be asked at several levels, and the deeper the question you ask about an
individual thing the more it is a question about a world to which that
thing belongs; there is finally a deepest question about a thing which
is also a question about everything. Let me explain that enigmatic remark.

Supposing you ask 'How come Fido?' You may be asking whether his father
is Rover or whether it was that promiscuous mongrel down the lane. In
such a case the answer is satisfactorily given by naming Fido's parents.
At this level no more need be said; the question is fully answered at
this level. But now suppose you ask: 'But how come Fido's a dog?' The
answer could be: 'His parents were dogs, and dogs just are born of other
dogs'. Here you have moved to what I call a deeper level of questioning
and begun to talk about what dogs are. You are saying: for Fido to be is
for him to be a dog, and Fido's parents are the sort of things whose
activities result in things being dogs. Now your original question 'How
come Fido?' has deepened into a question about the dog species. It
remains a question about this individual dog Fido, but it is also a
question about dogs -- not about dogs in the abstract, but about the
actual dog species in the world. Your question 'How come Fido?' at this
new level is a question 'How come dogs anyway?'

And of course there is an answer to that too in terms of things like
genetics and natural selection and what not. Here we have a new and
deeper level of the question 'How come Fido?' -- still a question about
this particular puppy, but one that is answered in terms of its
membership of a still wider community; no longer now simply the
community of dogs, but the whole biological community within which dogs
come to be and have their place. Then of course we can ask a question
about Fido at a deeper level still. When we ask how come the biological
community, we no doubt answer in terms of biochemistry. (I am not of
course pretending that we actually have the answers to all these
questions, as though we fully understood how it came about, and had to
come about, that there are now dogs around the place, but we expect
eventually to answer these questions.)

And now we can go on from the level of biochemistry to that of physics
and all the time we are asking more penetrating questions concerning
Fido and each time we go further in our questioning we are seeing Fido
in a wider and wider context.

We can put this another way by saying that each time we ask the question
we are asking about Fido over against some other possibility. Our first
question simply meant: How come Fido is this dog rather than another;
he's Rover's son rather than the mongrel's son. At the next level we
were asking: How come he's a dog rather than, say, a giraffe. At the
next level: How come he's a living being rather than an inanimate, and
so on.

Now I want to stress that all the time we are asking about this
individual Fido. It is just that we are seeing further problematics
within him. Fido's parents brought it about that he is this dog not
another, but in that act they also brought it about that he is this dog
(not a giraffe), that he is this living dog, that he is this
biochemically complex, living dog; that he is this molecularly
structured, biochemically complex, living dog, and so on. We are probing
further into what it is for Fido to come to
be and always by noting what he is not, but might have been. Every 'How
come' question is how come this instead of what is not. And every time,
of course, we answer by reference to some thing or state of affairs,
some existing reality, in virtue of which Fido is this rather than what
he is not.

Now our ultimate radical question is not how come Fido exists as this
dog instead of that, or how come Fido exists as a dog instead of a
giraffe, or exists as living instead of inanimate, but how come Fido
exists instead of nothing, and just as to ask how come he exists as dog
is to put him in the context of dogs, so to ask how come he exists
instead of nothing is to put him in the context of everything, the
universe or world.  And this is the question I call the God-question,
because whatever the answer is, whatever the thing or state of affairs,
whatever the existing reality that answers it we call 'God'.

Now of course it is always possible to stop the questioning at any
point; a man may refuse to ask why there are dogs. He may say there just
are dogs and perhaps it is impious to enquire how come -- there were
people who actually said that to Darwin. Similarly it is possible to
refuse to ask this ultimate question, to say as Russell once did: the
universe is just there. This seems to me just as arbitrary as to say:
dogs are just there.  The difference is that we now know by hindsight
that Darwin's critics were irrational because we have familiarised
ourselves with an answer to the question, how come there are dogs? We
have not familiarised ourselves with the answer to the question, how
come the world instead of nothing? but that does not make it any less
arbitrary to refuse to ask it. To ask it is to enter on an exploration
which Russell was simply refusing to do, as it seems to me. It is of
course perfectly right to point out the mysteriousness of a question
about everything, to point to the fact that we have no way of answering
it, but that is by no means the same as saying it is an unaskable
question. As Wittgenstein said 'Not how the world is, but that it is, is
the mystery'.

There is indeed a difficulty about having a concept of 'everything', for
we ordinarily conceive of something with, so to say, a boundary around
it: this is a sheep and not a giraffe. But everything is bounded by
nothing, which is just to say that it is not bounded by anything. To put
what is the same point another way: we can have no concept of nothing,
absolutely speaking. We can use the word relatively; we can say, 'There
Is nothing in the cupboard' meaning there are no largish objects -- we
are understood not to be saying there is no dust or no air. 'There is
nothing between Kerry and New York' means there is no land. It does not
mean there is absolutely nothing, no sea or fishes. The notions of
everything and of absolutely nothing, are not available to us in the
sense that the notions of sheep or scarlet or savagery are available to
us. And this means that we are asking our ultimate radical question with
tools that will not do the job properly, with words whose meaning has to
be stretched beyond what we can comprehend. It would be very strange if
it were not so. As Wittgenstein says, what we have here is the mystery.
If the question of God were a neat and simple question to be answered in
terms of familiar concepts, then whatever we are talking about, it is
not God. A God who is in this sense comprehensible would not be worth
worshipping, or even of talking about (except for the purpose of
destroying him).

It is clear that we reach out to, but do not reach, an answer to our
ultimate question, how come anything instead of nothing? But we are able
to exclude some answers. If God is whatever answers our question, how
come everything then evidently he is not to be included amongst
everything. God cannot be a thing, an existent among others. It is not
possible that God and the universe should add up to make two.

Again, if we are to speak of God as causing the existence of everything,
it is clear that we must not mean that he makes the universe out of
anything. Whatever creation means it is not a process of making. Again
it is clear that God cannot interfere in the universe, not because he
has not the power but because, so to speak, he has too much; to
interfere you have to be an alternative to, or alongside, what you are
interfering with. If God is the cause of everything, there is nothing
that he is alongside. Obviously God makes no difference to the universe;
I mean by this that we do not appeal specifically to God to explain why
the universe is this way rather than that, for this we need only appeal
to explanations within the universe. For this reason there can, it seems
to me, be no feature of the universe which indicates it is God-made.
What God accounts for is that the universe is there instead of nothing.
I have said that whatever God is, he is not a member of everything, not
an inhabitant of the universe, not a thing or a kind of thing. And I
should add, I suppose, that it cannot be possible to ask of him, how
come God instead of nothing? It must not be possible for him to be
nothing. Not just in the sense that God must be imperishable, but that
it must make no sense to consider that God might not be. Of course it is
still possible to say, without manifest contradiction, 'God might not
be', but that is because when we speak of God by using the word 'God',
we do not understand what we mean, we have no concept of God; what
governs our use of the word 'God' is not an understanding of what God is
but the validity of a question about the world. That is why we are not
protected by any logical laws from saying 'God might not exist' even
though it makes no sense. What goes for our rules for the use of 'God'
does not go for the God we try to name with the word. (And a corollary
of this, incidentally, is why a famous argument for the existence of God
called the ontological argument does not work.)

What I have been saying may seem to make God both remote and irrelevant.
He is not part of the universe and he makes no difference to it. It is
therefore necessary to stress that God must be in everything that
happens and everything that exists in the universe. If Fido's parents
make Fido to exist instead of nothing it is because in their action God
is acting, just as if a pen writes it is because in its action a writer
is acting. It is because it is God that wields every agent in the
universe that agents bring things into existence, make things new. Every
action in the world is an action of God; not because it is not an action
of a creature but because it is by God's action that the creature is
itself and has its own activity. But more of that in the next chapter.

For the moment may I just say that it seems to me that what we often
call atheism is not a denial of the God of which I speak. Very
frequently the man who sees himself as an atheist is not denying the
existence of some answer to the mystery of how come there Is anything
instead of nothing, he is denying what he thinks or has been told is a
religious answer to this question. He thinks or has been told that
religious people, and especially Christians, claim to have discovered
what the answer is, that there is some grand architect of the universe
who designed it, just like Basil Spence [Americans might substitute
Frank Lloyd Wright --CGE] only bigger and less visible, that there is a
Top Person in the universe who issues arbitrary decrees for the rest of
the persons and enforces them because he is the most powerful being
around. Now if denying this claim makes you an atheist, then I and
Thomas Aquinas and a whole Christian tradition are atheistic too.

But a genuine atheist is one who simply does not see that there is any
problem or mystery here, one who is content to ask questions within the
world, but cannot see that the world itself raises a question. This is
the man I compare to those who are content to ask questions within the
established framework of science, but cannot see that there are genuine
though ill-formulated questions on the frontiers. I have made a
comparison with scientific research, but just the same parallel could be
made with any kind of creative activity. The poet is trying to write a
poem but he does not know what he is trying to say until he has said it
and recognised it. Until he has done this it is extremely difficult to
show that he is writing a poem or that he could write a poem. I can
show, by pointing to the existence of bricks and cement and so on and
the availability of a workforce, that there could be more houses made. I
cannot show that there will ever be another poem.

I called this paper 'God and Creation' In order to indicate what I and
the mainstream Christian tradition understand by creation as a path
towards God. We come across God, So to speak, or rather we search and do
not come across him, when the universe raises for us a radical question
concerning its existence at all. And creation is the name we give to
God's answering this question.

I hope it will be evident that creation is here being used in a quite
different sense from the way it is used by people who seek to discover
the origin of the universe (was it a big bang or a lot of little pops or
whatever). Whatever processes took place in remote periods of time is of
course in itself a fascinating topic but it is irrelevant to the
question of creation in the sense that makes us speak of God. When we
have concluded that God created the world, there still remains the
scientific question to ask about what kind of world it is and was and
how, if ever, it began. It is probably unnecessary to say that the
proposition that the universe is made by God and that everything that
is, is begun and sustained in existence by God, does not entail that the
universe has only existed for a finite time. There may be reasons for
thinking that the universe is finite in time and space but the fact that
its existence depends on God is not one of them.

Coming to know that the universe is dependent on God does not in fact
tell us anything about the character of the universe. How could it?
Since everything we know about God (that he exists and what he is not)
is derived from what we know of the universe, how could we come back
from God with some additional information about the world? If we think
we can it is only because we have smuggled something extra into our
concept of God -- for example, when we make God in our own image and ask
ourselves quite illegitimate questions like 'What would I have done If I
were God?' It should be evident that this is a temptation to be avoided.

There is one last thing I should like to touch on. What are we to make
of the notion of a 'personal' God?

I think the idea of a personal God has arisen in two quite different
ways. In the first place people have thought of God as a person because
they have thought of him as a maker -- I mean they have had an image of
God as an artist or technician working away at something -- and thereby
accounting for its existence. In this sense the person (in the sense of
human person) is an image of God, a picture which may be useful but
could evidently be misleading. In the second place I think people call
God personal because it seems absurd to say he is impersonal. However
romantic we may get about the great impersonal forces of nature that
seem to tower over us, we know perfectly well that they don't. What is
impersonal and non-intelligent will, in principle, always obey us if
only we know the trick. There are people who speak of God as a great
life-force, and that is all right if they merely want to deny that he is
some particular concrete individual -- evidently he is not, but we have
to remember that great forces don't really get anything done unless they
are wielded in a context. The wind and the waves don't achieve any aim,
there is nothing that counts as success in their thrashing around. It is
only by talking about them as though they were persons or at least as
alive that we can speak of them getting anything done, and since
whatever else we mean by God we mean what gets something done or made or
existing, it seems that we cannot think of him as merely impersonal.

Once we have denied that God is merely impersonal we are under a
temptation to imagine him as forming Intentions or thinking out or
making up his mind, but none of this is a legitimate For us the business
of being persons is extremely closely tied but there is no reason at all
to transfer all this to God; indeed not doing so since this version of
personality associated with the fact that we are physical beings, parts
of a material whole.

We can then, I think, say that whatever accounts for the existence of
the universe cannot be limited in the way that impersonal unintelligent
things and forces are, but this does not justify us in attributing to
God our own particular mode of intelligence. If we do speak of God as
making up his mind or changing his mind or deciding or cogitating or
reasoning, it can only be by metaphor as when we speak of his strong
right arm or his all-seeing eye.

	###