[Peace-discuss] What’s the Opposite of a Pyrrhic Victory?

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Dec 10 23:45:12 CST 2006

A wonderfully terse, incisive, and insightful summary of Baker's half-
baked prescriptions, and what must really be done about our Iraq
adventure.

Published on Sunday, December 10, 2006 by CommonDreams.org
What’s the Opposite of a Pyrrhic Victory?
by Robert Shetterly

James Baker’s & Lee Hamilton’s report from the Iraq Study Group on
the situation in Iraq and their recommendations on how to proceed
avoids three of the most important aspects of this catastrophic
situation. Thus, it does nothing to avert the mythic disaster that
inevitably befalls a country -- like ours -- determined to ignore the
strictures of reality.

1. The report never talks about the manner in which the U.S. Congress
and people were manipulated into war by this administration. The lies
and deceptions used to engineer this war were a betrayal of the
Constitution and of our democratic Republic. Any solution must not
just figure out how the U.S. can exit from the war, but, equally
important, how such deception can be avoided in the future. To do
this we all have to face the truth of what happened. The Study Group
did not address this issue; it provided cover for the administration.
By implication it took the administration to task for poor planning
and incompetence, but that is not nearly enough. Crimes were
committed. An essential ingredient of the success of a democracy is
its willingness to demand accountability. Without people being held
responsible, nothing lasting can be learned. We are indeed doomed to
repeat our history if no one is held accountable for the mistakes and
crimes of the past. I have heard it said that the Baker-Hamilton
report was a devastating criticism of the administration’s handling
of the war. But there is no way it could be devastating enough unless
it included criminal indictment. In fact, then it would not be
devastating. It would be liberating.

2. The report never disavows the actual goals of the invasion. We all
know that the goals were neither self-protection from extraordinary
weapons, nor the interdiction of Saddam’s phony connection with
Osama, nor the building of democracy in Iraq. The goals involved the
establishment of permanent U.S. military bases at a central location
in the Mid-East, and the privatized control of a vast supply of oil,
and, under the Bremer Rules, the privatization of all of Iraq’s
essential business. The Baker-Hamilton report states that U.S. forces
should stay in Iraq for an indefinite time to protect our “national
interests.” What this “bi-partisan” committee is trying to do, in the
inverse of a Pyrrhic victory, is find a way to lose the war but still
win the war’s objectives. This duplicity will not be lost on Sunnis,
Shiites, or anyone else in the region. There will be no peace until
the U.S. leaves Iraq, turns over its bases to the Iraqis and forgoes
all imperial ambitions, including the oil. Even then, of course, the
violence may worsen. When you sow the whirlwind, it, not you, is in
control. ( It’s important to note that James Baker has very close
ties to the oil industry and has worked for the Carlyle Group, the
international corporate entity made up primarily of former multi-
national government officials, like George H.W. Bush, who have used
their insider connections to make billions selling arms & oil.)

3. The best way to end the conflict is for the U.S forces to be
withdrawn immediately. Much of the violence is in reaction to the
presence of the U.S. occupying force. The Study Group admits this,
but then ignores it. Much attention is given to the training of Iraqi
forces, with the warning to the Iraqi government that it has to now
take responsibility for the violence in Iraq --- as though it is
their fault. Before they take responsibility, we have to. Who started
this war? Who made the unprovoked attack? Who destroyed the
infrastructure of the country and killed hundreds of thousands of
civilians? Who whistled the tune for this particular “cake walk?” Who
should pay for the reparations? Who created a situation so awful that
there are no good solutions? The U.S. has to make it very clear that
this is our fault and our mess to clean up ---- which brings me back
to the beginning. We can’t take appropriate responsibility for the
end of this affair if we don’t take responsibility for the beginning.
It was not bungling. It was a crime against humanity. Implicit in the
Iraq Study Group’s report is that they approved of a pre-emptive war
sold to the American people by deception and that they approved of
the neo-colonial goals. They’re pissed that the heist was handled so
badly.

I am very fond of quoting James Baldwin who said, “People who shut
their eyes to reality simply invite their own destruction.” For
nearly four years the Bush administration has shut its eyes to the
reality of the situation in Iraq, and we can all see how close we are
to destruction. They also employed every underhanded means they could
to mask that reality from the American people. They have arrogantly
claimed that they could create reality faster than anyone else could
hold them accountable, that they could outrun the consequences of
their acts. Oh, the hubris of power! Did Dick Cheney or Karl Rove
never read a Greek tragedy? (They could have learned the same lesson
from the Road Runner.) All of us who refuse now to see the larger
realities and to hold people accountable for them will also face
destruction. The Iraq Study Group’s proposals are not a good start
toward a realistic solution. They seek both to ignore the initial
betrayal of our republic and to hide the objectives which they are
still hoping to achieve.

Our job, as citizens, is simply to speak reality to power. None of us
wants to confront how bloody abominable this situation --- both in
Iraq & in our duplicit government --- really is, but we must. It’s a
fire we must walk through with no knowledge of what’s on the other
side. It has nothing to do with partisanship. It has to do with
salvaging the republic. And it’s a fire we must walk through so that
we can have the opportunity to walk through the other conflagrations
burning ahead --- global warming and energy depletion --- while there
is still time.

Robert Shetterly [send him mail] is a writer and artist who lives in
Brooksville, Maine. He is the author of Americans Who Tell the Truth.
See his website.