[Peace-discuss] Cartoons

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 23:36:41 CST 2006

When this was published in Charlie Hebdo a few days ago, I waited in a
longer than usual line at my local news stand here in the 14th
arrondissement to buy the published material, realizing full well that this
junk periodical was using hate speech as a means of making a little extra
cash, and that I was letting my curiosity help fuel that process. Everyone
in line seemed to mirror my sentiments: telling me that this has nothing to
do with "free speech," at least in part because we were paying for it.

I am opposed to the publishing of this crap in much the same way I publicly
opposed the publishing of the zionist, anti-palestinian trash that appeared
in the DI a few years ago. (full page ad depecting palestinian children as
terrorists to be...)

Free speech has never meant freedom of speech at all times and places, but
instead requires an understanding of the balance between right and
responsibility: one can possess no right in a free and democratic society
without carrying it out in a thoughtful and responsible manner.

Side Note: if the riots that englufed the northern balieue of Paris a few
months ago actually had anything to do with a "clash of civilizations" as
many commentators would have you believe, then publishing this cartoon would
most certainly have fueled the flames again...RIGHT??

cheers,
matt e r