[Peace-discuss] Cartoon Network

bdolinar at uiuc.edu bdolinar at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 13 12:47:07 CST 2006

Hey all.
You might want to consider including AWARE as a signee of the
below letter.  If interested, contact:
Shaz Kaiseruddin - kaiserud at law.uiuc.edu

BD

The promises of the first amendment are a critical foundation
to our great nation. However, free speech is not a license for
irresponsible journalism. While the Daily Illini's reprinting
of the Danish Cartoons within its February 9th editorial
section may not have violated our laws, the decision did
violate human decency. The cartoons would have been just as
offensive had they been disrespectful towards any other
religion or race. However, the fact that comparable
anti-Semitic sentiments and other forms of racist expression
are socially unacceptable is an indication that Islamophobia
is rampant in our community. This is not an issue of free
speech, but rather a failure to recognize hate speech.

While the cartoons were said to be reprinted in the spirit of
open dialogue, the featuring of hate speech promotes just the
opposite. Muslims have since received hate mail and barriers
have thus been raised further. The organizations working in
solidarity with the local Muslim community hope to counter
this course of events with a number of peaceful initiatives in
the following weeks. These events seek not only to educate the
media and the public about Prophet Muhammad, but also about
the respect and dignity people of all faiths grant their
religious leaders. Cartoons mimicking Moses, Jesus, Buddha or
any other religious figure are just as unacceptable as
cartoons that mock the prophet of Islam.

These peaceful events also serve as a mechanism to unite
people of all faiths to stand together in solidarity. Rather
than burn embassies or protest violently, all peoples should
stand firmly with one another and peacefully condemn all forms
of hate.

Essentially, our message is this: It is unacceptable to use
free speech as a platform for Islamophobia. Such an action is
inconceivably offensive and only furthers hatred and
misunderstanding. The Muslim community and others offended by
the printing of the cartoons are not asking for censorship,
but for respect. We ask the community, including the DI staff
members, to join us in our series of peaceful, educational
events in the name of achieving a more free, educated, and
responsible common citizenship.

Signed:
Muslim Students Association and the Council on American
Islamic Relations-UIUC

Co-Signed:
Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center
Hillel Leadership Council
Lutheran Campus Center
University YMCA
Joel Schwitzer, Religious Workers Association Board
Daniel Hwang, Student Bar Association President
Muslim Law Students Association
Asian American Law Students Association
Young-a Jo, Director Asian-Pacific American Coalition
Muslim Women's Outreach
Hindu Student Council
Interfaith in Action
Arab Students Association
Indian Students Association
Pakistani Students Association
Malaysian Students Association

Contact Reem Rahman CAIR-UIUC (217) 493-0912
              Shaz Kaiseruddin MSA (312) 479-1155

Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
204 S. Lynn St.
Champaign, IL 61820