[Peace-discuss] Hate speech

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 14 09:03:56 CST 2006

The First Amendment protects the press from the government. The
press itself can do as it likes with regard to moral issues. We
all know that a free press means that there must be a lot of
junk in circulation, as well as a lot of good stuff. This may
be necessary, but it is not an excuse for causing harm.

The Public i holds itself to a very different standard than the
DI. If we feel that publishing something would cause more harm
than good, we don't do it. This is both our right and our duty if
we wish to consider ourselves evenly slightly moral.

Bob