[Peace-discuss] re: Hate speech

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 16:32:19 CST 2006

So what does it take to get people--including Muslim
students--to care about what is written in the student
newspaper? A couple of weeks ago Tom Amenta, the
ex-military right-winger, stated in a column that
Jessica Lynch had been sodomized by Iraqis. No
complaint, no response, no retraction, nothing. Here
we have a classic scenario of a pure white woman
allegedly brutally raped by sex-crazed Arab men. The
truth, of course, is that her life was saved by Arab
men at some risk to themselves. A little more
aggravating to me than depictions of the prophet, but
then again I'm not Muslim.

Let's put aside for a moment that American military
bases are centers of prostitution everywhere except in
the Middle East, apparently.

The students just aren't paying attention. Then the
editors, who can't help themselves, do something to
get them to pay attention. Good for the editors,
ironically speaking. What I really mean is, good for
those of us who want to raise awareness of what is
going on. Unlike Fox News, we can actually talk back
at this level. We're not dealing with Bill O'Reilly.

DG