[Peace-discuss] Free what?

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 14 16:35:48 CST 2006

Glad you like Tom's opinion that the DI editors shouldn't be
fired. I in fact posted the same thing yesterday. The DI may
feel otherwise, however, since I gather their editorial
procedures have been violated.

There is a conflation in this discussion between the concepts
of freedom of the press and speech from government interference,
which is guaranteed by the First Amendment, and freedom of the
press and speech as an absolute freedom. One may engage in hate
speech without interference by the government, but if one is
called hateful for doing this by the press or by individuals,
they act constitutionally.

Bob