[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: LOCAL Organizing to Impeach and End the War] from Democrats.com

Michael Justin Walcher mwalcher at dtnspeed.net
Wed Feb 15 07:37:47 CST 2006

Thanks to your continuing support, we have upgraded Democrats.com to
permit effective local organizing by Congressional District. And we're
putting this new capability to work to Impeach Bush/Cheney and End the
War in Iraq. We urgently need your help to succeed, so please sign up
below and spread the word!

Bob Fertik

*Nonviolent Peaceful Demonstrations In Front of Congress Members' Homes
Every Weekend*

Democrats.com, Progressive Democrats of America, After Downing Street,
Gold Star Families for Peace, the Hip Hop Caucus, Democracy Rising, and
Velvet Revolution, are organizing grassroots teams in all 435
Congressional Districts plus 5 Delegate Districts (DC, PR, VI, GU, and
AS) to hold nonviolent peaceful demonstrations every weekend in front of
the homes of Members of Congress.

*Our Mission:* to persuade each of our Representatives to support

1. Impeachment: Support John Conyers' Watergate-style investigation
(H.Res. 635) of Bush's Iraq War lies - and immediately introduce
Articles of Impeachment for Bush and Cheney

2. Getting Out of Iraq: Support John Murtha's bill to remove troops from
Iraq (H.J. Res 73) and Jim McGovern's bill to end funding for the Iraq
War (H.R. 4232)

*The Problem:* For a year, we have tried all of the traditional lobbying
techniques including marches, petitions, emails, letters, calls, town
hall forums, and even face-to-face meetings with our Representatives.
Yet despite all this effort, not one Representative is willing to
introduce Articles of Impeachment, while fewer than 30 have co-sponsored
Rep. Conyers' Watergate-style investigation. On Iraq, John Murtha's bill
has nearly 100 co-sponsors but not the 218 needed to force a floor vote;
Jim McGovern's bill has fewer than 20 co-sponsors, even though George
Bush just asked for $120 billion more for a war America does not support
and cannot afford.

*The Solution:* Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King faced
far worse resistance from political leaders when they tried to end
segregation in the South. So they took their movement to the streets and
marched peacefully directly into the face of that resistance. We will
take our inspiration from them, and bring our movement nonviolently and
peacefully into the face of our resistance: the 435 Members of Congress
who are supposed to represent us but refuse to do so. (We'll make an
exception for the House Honor Roll - Members who support our three
priority bills above. For those Members, we will focus on Member
Meetings to persuade them to introduce Articles of Impeachment.)

*Learn More and Volunteer:*
You won't be part of this campaign unless you sign up here:
http://www.democrats.com/cd

_______________

*More Ways That You Can Act Every Day to End the War*
By David Swanson
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=node/7798

_______________ Sponsored Message

	*SMILE, LAUGH & CRY WITH ODE
<http://www.odemagazine.net/special-1subscribe.htm?c1=news&source=Democrats>*

 From Bono on Africa, terrorism, and God to the top 40 organic products
companies; from Eve Ensler's calls for women in power to what's
responsible about socially responsible investing. As you read Ode you'll
realize it's an international magazine unlike any other.

Ode reports on stories about progressive politics, sustainability,
natural health, leading-edge science and spirituality, and /much/ more.
Smile, laugh and cry with Ode. *Find out more about Ode's special offer
here
<http://www.odemagazine.net/special-1subscribe.htm?c1=news&source=Democrats>*.

Ode has been making waves. Anita Roddick, founder of the Body Shop,
calls Ode "essential reading," and Benjamin Zander, conductor of the
Boston Philharmonic calls Ode a "way of life." Now, for a limited time,
you can get an introductory subscription to Ode of six issues for just
$10. Don't miss out on getting this big, colorful magazine that will
enhance your perspective for about the cost of a single movie ticket.
*Find out more
<http://www.odemagazine.net/special-1subscribe.htm?c1=news&source=Democrats>*.

_______________

*UPCOMING EVENTS TO END THE WAR AND HOLD WARMAKERS ACCOUNTABLE*

Sign up for these, find others, and create yoru own at
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/event

*Peace Events in Vancouver*
February 14
12:30 – 2:00 pm Valentine’s Day "Give Peace a Dance" at Vancouver City
Hall, 453 W. 12th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C.
7:00 pm Vancouver: Peace Messenger City at Kitsilano Secondary School
Auditorium, 2550 W. 10th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C.
Dr. Allan Connolly, past President of Physicians for Global Survival and
Rex Weyler, Program Coordinator, World Peace Forum 2006

*Making Change/Creating Peace!*
Featuring: Medea Benjamin, David Swanson
February 15, 7:30 p.m.
Veterans Hall, Santa Cruz, Calif.
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=node/7457

<http://mattfitt.com/gallery2/v/Activism/Medea/Medea_flyer_2+copy_001.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1>

*War Research and the University*
February 15, 7 p.m.
180 PLC, University of Oregon
Concerned Faculty for Peace and Justice, and Strike for Peace
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=node/7480

*Committee Vote on House Resolutions of Inquiry into Illegal Spying*
The House Judiciary Committee is scheduled for mark-up of the two
following resolutions:
H. Res. 643, "Directing the Attorney General to submit to the House of
Representatives all documents in the possession of the Attorney General
relating to warrantless electronic surveillance of telephone
conversations and electronic communications of persons in the United
States conducted by the National Security Agency"
H. Res. 644, "Requesting the President and directing the Attorney
General to transmit to the House of Representatives not later than 14
days after the date of the adoption of this resolution documents in the
possession of those officials relating to the authorization of
electronic surveillance of citizens of the United States without court
approved warrants"

The mark-up conference will be carried live on the web, February 15,
2006, beginning at 10 a.m. ET.
http://www.Judiciary.House.gov <http://www.judiciary.house.gov/>

*Lights Out Chicago: 30-Day Electricity Fast Begins*
February 15, 8 a.m. to March 15, 7 p.m.
For 30 days, local activists for social justice will forgo electricity
at home, choosing instead to shed light on the failure of reconstruction
efforts in Iraq to create significant and reliable improvements in
electrical power supply since the U.S. led invasion and occupation.
Lights Out Chicago participants will maintain a vigil at the Federal
Plaza in Chicago (Dearborn and Adams) each weekday from 1:00 p.m. - 2:00
p.m. and from 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., then on Saturdays and Sundays from
2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at the Water Tower Park ( Michigan and Pearson).
http://vcnv.org/tue-3

*Winter Of Our Discontent*
February 15 to March 19
Washington, D.C.
Voices for Creative Nonviolence is organizing this campaign to help
strengthen grassroots opposition and nonviolent resistance to the
continued war against the people of Iraq. A core group will journey to
Washington, D.C. to organize a 33 day fast, vigils, lobbying and
nonviolent civil disobedience during this period. Others will join the
core group in D.C. for shorter periods of time. Still others will
organize local actions in their home communities. VCNV invites you to
join them in D.C. for part or all of the Winter of Our Discontent. If
you are not able to travel to D.C., you are encouraged to organize
actions in your local community.
http://vcnv.org <http://vcnv.org/>

*SIGNS FOR ANY OCCASION:*
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=node/6792

____________________

*Take it Back: *the movement for democracy and howard dean
::: a documentary film by heidi draper

In January 2004, the eyes of the country were focused on Iowa as the
Democratic presidential candidates gathered for the famous Iowa
Caucuses. Surprisingly, the front runner was upstart Howard Dean.

Take it Back brings us into the eye of what was called "The Perfect
Storm" when thousands of Dean volunteers traveled to Iowa to help their
candidate win the crucial first primary. It offers a grassroots view of
the forces that propelled Dean ahead of the Democratic Party
heavyweights, as well as those that brought Dean¹s meteoric rise to an
abrupt halt.

With great humor and poignancy, Take it Back follows several of the
unforgettable characters who helped lift Dean into the national
spotlight, and shows us from the ground up their hopes, their
frustrations, and their determination to restore their vision of America.

http://takeitbackfilm.com/

*FORWARD THIS EMAIL*

#####

If you received this from a friend, you can subscribe at:
http://afterdowningstreet.org <http://afterdowningstreet.org/>

To unsubscribe from AfterDowningStreet Updates, click here:
http://archive.democrats.com/unsub.cfm?email=mwalcher@dtnspeed.net&fieldname=L16
<http://archive.democrats.com/unsub.cfm?email=mwalcher@dtnspeed.net&fieldname=L16>

To unsubscribe from all Democrats.com mailings, click here: