[Peace-discuss] new campus organization: coalition for social change

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 15 22:37:06 CST 2006

a new campus organization
----- begin forwarded message -------------
The Coalition for Social Change:
Statement of Purpose, Spring 2006

The purpose of the Coalition for Social Change is to create a social and
electronic network that facilitates communication and collaboration
among the many issue-oriented progressive organizations on the
University of Illinois campus and in the greater Champaign-Urbana
community.  In so doing, we hope to create a stronger progressive
presence in town and bring the resources of the University of Illinois
to bear on issues of local importance.  The social issues of progressive
interest we anticipate focusing on may include strategies to empower the
impoverished and less privileged, addressing systems that perpetuate
racial inequality, promoting tolerance of social and religious
pluralism, protecting the natural environment, and advancing peaceful
solutions to conflict.

There are essentially three strategies we will use to enable this
cooperation.  First, in creating a more cohesive community, we hope to
support each other's commitment to progressive work and think about how
to best accomplish progressive change in our specific areas of interest
and through our positions in the community.  In these meetings we also
want to create a space for people who have broadly progressive values to
join in progressive work for the first time.  Second, in forming a
network of progressive persons and activists, we also hope to allow for
better strategic planning of events in C-U including talks, film and art
showings, demonstrations, advocacy work, and direct service on social
issues of progressive interest.  Third, we hope to facilitate better
publicity and information sharing through a web-based repository for
persons doing progressive work.  This site would include a listing for a
local speakers bureau, a comprehensive calendars of progressive events
and meetings, and a list of contact people and list-serves for
progressive organizations on campus and in the community.

We have used a traditional executive board structure in order to achieve
recognition by the University as a registered student organization,
which affords us various University privileges. In general, however, the
Coalition structure will be largely de-centralized into topical working
groups where most of the real work will be done.  We will meet as a
whole group monthly during the fall and spring semesters in order to
hear updates from each working group, provide opportunities to network
within and between working groups, and collectively assess the needs in
the community and strategically plan ways to address these needs.

Thus far, the following working groups have been proposed:
human rights / health care access and education / criminal justice
system fairness / Spanish-language access to social services / religious
tolerance

For more information, please contact:
andrea brandon
sbrandon at uiuc.edu