[Peace-discuss] hearts and minds

stuart tarr stuarttarr at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:17:55 CST 2006

Pro-war propaganda test marketing campaign in Minnesota:

Last update: February 16, 2006 – 9:03 PM

Nick Coleman, Star Tribune
Another pro-war ad is getting a trial run on some Twin Cities TV stations,
repackaging the same deceptions that I deconstructed last Sunday. The first
ad was bad enough, but the newest installment in this expensive effort to
shore up support for the war in Iraq is not honest about a mother's grief.

Ad No. 2 began airing Wednesday and features the mothers and fathers of four
dead soldiers. The final mother figure in the ad tells the camera: "We have
to finish this job to remember Erik's sacrifice, and all of the other fallen
heroes." She is identified as M. J. Kesterson, and many viewers will assume
she is the mother of Chief Warrant Officer Erik Kesterson, 29, a helicopter
pilot killed in 2003 who figures prominently in the ad.

But she's not his mom.

M.J. Kesterson is married to Erik's father, who also appears in the ad, and
she's Erik's stepmother. His mother is Dolores Kesterson, and the
distinction is important because Dolores Kesterson is opposed to a war in
which she believes her son died to prevent the use of weapons of mass
destruction that did not exist and to avenge 9/11, which was not connected
to Iraq.

Dolores, who is a member of Gold Star Families for Peace, voiced her
opposition when she was granted a brief meeting with President Bush in 2004
and gave Bush a letter in which she wrote: "The label 'Iraqi Freedom'
doesn't work for me. Iraq is not free. It is occupied, and now, after all
the loss of life on both sides, they don't want us there."

Bush didn't want to hear it. Neither did a soft-money group called Progress
for America, which raised almost $40 million for the Bush campaign in 2004
and is spending half a million dollars or more here to test whether pro-war
propaganda can stop the slide in public support for the war (the latest
CNN/USA Today Poll shows 56 percent of Americans oppose the war).

I could tell you more about Progress for America and "Astro-turfing"
(artificially created "grass-roots" politics) if the Washington-based group
had answered e-mailed requests for information. But it didn't. Nevertheless,
according to the conservative and helpful National Journal (which is where
the half-million-dollar figure for the Twin Cities TV ads comes from),
Progress for America set up a local group of Iraq war veterans and families
in January and now is using them to front for its commercials, calling them
Midwest Heroes. (Half of the soldiers in the ad, including Kesterson, hailed
from Oregon, so the group should be called "Pacific Midwest Heroes.")

Let's pause for a second.

My intent here is to expose the agitprop tactics of a political group
campaigning on the bodies of fallen soldiers in a transparent attempt to
cover the war's lies. It is not my desire to discount the grief of the
families -- including the stepmothers -- of the 2,274 soldiers who have died
following orders.

Folks who would do that kind of despicable thing are the folks who attacked
Cindy Sheehan as a "tragedy pimp" and mocked her grief over the loss of her
soldier son, Casey.

Americans are divided about this war. But there are patriots on all sides of
the debate and there are many families, including those in mourning, praying
for an end to it.

These cynical ads ignore that. They exploit the fallen and are a disservice
to the troops. More than that, they are lies.

Nick Coleman • ncoleman at startribune

©2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.