[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Darfur dvd

Thomas Mackaman mackaman at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 19 16:30:32 CST 2006

Very good articles on Darfur, Carl.  A random Google perusal
using the words "Oil, Darfur, Sudan, China," also turned up
a ton.  See for example, a very lenghty Washington Post
article on the predatory role of China in Sudan.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21143-
2004Dec22.html.  This article was one of many.

Based on what I've gathered from the links Carl forwarded
and elsewhere, a number of observations could be made on the
matter.  Among them:

1)  The notion that this is about "race"--at least we think
of it in the US-- is false and drawn up for American public
consumption.  It seems a bizarre case of psycho-
social "projection" of identity politics  Though I don't
doubt his sincerity, this was the essence of Brian
Schwartz's article in the Public I, which you'll recall was
meant to commemorate "Black History Month."  In fact, the
Arab population is "black", at least in the American sense
of the term.

2)  Though atrocities have taken place and continue, the
word "genocide" appears overblown.  Statistics vary wildy
according to which group is doing the counting, but even if
the statistics used by the pro-intervention crowd are taken
at face value, they are dwarfed by the millions of Iraqis--
mostly women and children--killed at the hands of the US
sanctions and military intervention in Iraq.  Most of these
deaths occurred in the Clinton years.  Those same "liberals"
campaigning for intervention in Darfur have been silent for
over a decade on the enormous misery inflicted upon Iraq by
the US.  They must answer for this silence!  Furthermore, it
is conceded by all serious parties that the great bulk of
deaths in Darfur have resulted from disease and famine.  Far
more have been killed in Iraq at the hands of other men.
The figure in Iraq for violent deaths numbers in the hundres
of thousands.

3)  At least one group that campaigns for US intervention in
Darfur ("A Million Voices for Darfur") includes a number of
groups who have been silent on US atrocities in Iraq and
Israeli ethnic cleansing of Palestinians.
http://millionvoicesfordarfur.org/?page=about.  Much more
must be learned about the anatomy of the pro-intervention
crowd.

4)  Sudan is a flash point in geopolitical rivalry.  It is
now China's leading source of foreign oil, and accounts for
more than 10% of Chinese foreign oil consumption.  In the
past France has also opposed intervention as it too, is a
major player in the Sudanese oil market.  The US has no
significant investment in Sudanese oil as of yet.  Should
the rebels in the South of Sudan be successful, they have
promised to cancel Chinese oil contracts (see Post article
above).  Obviously, that would be a major coup for Anglo-
American Big Oil.

5)   Those advocating US intervention are fond of quoting a
marginal note Bush made on a report on the Rwanda genocide--
"not on my watch," he scribbled--and demand a letter writing
campaign of letter-writing to our illustrious president.
The Bush of Abu Graib and Gitmo?   Who could possibly
believe in this nonsense?  Any US intervention, or UN
intervention, will require the hammering out of differences
among the major powers.  The letter-writing will serve as a
useful pretext, no more, and in the meantime will be
utilized to distract and divide the the growing numbers
enraged by the barbarity of the ongoing US atrocities in
Iraq.

Tom