[Peace-discuss] Incremental change

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 19 17:06:30 CST 2006

By "we" I meant the people of the United States.

I do see gradual progress on human rights in this country (getting
the vote for women is an obvious example), and believe that the
paper is important, but that it will do nothing if the people
themselves do not demand what the documents spell out. Our first
job is to get the laws, our second is to demand that they be
enforced. The powerful rarely give away any power unless they see
that they have no other options, and then they give away as little
as they can get away with. This is what makes progress so slow, so
incremental. Have a look at Howard Zinn's "A People's History of
the United States" if you haven't read it already. I think you'll
find it interesting and useful.

Bob