[Peace-discuss] Incremental change

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 20 09:29:02 CST 2006

Bob Illyes wrote:
 > progress so slow, so incremental.

Alas, the only change that lasts is incremental change.

Power is very much like the "precious" of Gollum; those with a monopoloy
on power spend their time and energy defending it from real or imagined
others.

When the powerless are given rights, it sometimes takes a bit of time
before we learn how to use it. In the Dominican Republic, after the
dictatorship of Trujillo ended, it was months before the people really
believed he was dead and was not coming back. There is still a whole
generation of people who are afraid to speak out against the government
because Trujillo's spies used to be everywhere and the punishment for
criticism of his government was often death. Fear is hard to overcome.

Bob is correct: we must make sure that the hard-earned rights do not
slip away while the empowered learn how to use them.

-karen medina