[Peace-discuss] Darfur talk

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 23 08:33:32 CST 2006

Deng made a distinction between African and Arab more than black and
Arab. He was saying it was a clash of cultures and never mentioned a
thing of skin color. That by accepting the religion but not the culture
this was the reason the people of Western Sudan are targeted. Southern
Sudan was and is Christian, or so Deng implied. Deng himself was
returned to his tribe after his enslavement. He would have been around
12 years old at that time, and they (his owners) had told him to take on
the Muslim religion and physical display of such, so he did.

Even during the actual talk, Deng quite animately stated that he was not
for military intervention. "Military intervention will not solve the
problem so tomorrow the problem will still be there." At this time he
also gave what he did want from the United States as a superpower: peace
talks. Signing a paper with the powers of the world will be better than
signing the papers of the past with what the "Arabs" call "infidels."

Beyond saying that a military intervention would not have an end, he
also said that there could not be enough troops to do what a military
intervention would have to do.

All this information about what he wanted from the US came late in the
talk, so I am wondering if part of it was lost by the listeners. He gave
us a lot to think about, and if I had known more about the Sudan, I
would have been mulling over questions by the time he got to this part
of his talk.

To see a transcript of a very similar talk by Deng, you might look at
this -> http://www.iheu.org/node/1539

-karen medina